Topic: How do I zoom into where the tracks are located?  (Read 3844 times)

UniversalRanger

« on: July 24, 2019, 06:48:14 AM »
So, I'm doing the beginner's quests here. I found tracks. So, now I have to follow them to the animal.

However, when I zoom into the area, I can't see where the tracks are. It seems to me that it should be easy to locate the tracks since detecting them must mean that he saw them and isn't just remotely sensing they exist somewhere in the grid square.

Is there a simple way to locate the tracks once zooming in, or do I have to spend all game-day combing the grid square to meta-find something that the character already found?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
The latter. The overland report of tracks is completely disconnected from the zooming in logic. When zooming in you usually return to the location where you zoomed out the last time you zoomed out from the tile. I'm not sure about the logic for zooming in the first time, though, but tracks definitely have nothing to do with it.
Thus, it's quite possible to zoom in to a tile with reported tracks from one animal and end up on top of tracks from a different one (but usually none at all, of course).

Note that it isn't critically important to follow these precise tracks: you can use just about any tracks.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
It shouldn't be too hard to find the tracks, the squares aren't that big.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
Well, the world tiles are 50 * 50 tiles (100 * 100 m), and you don't know where in the tile you zoom in, so it translates to 300 * 300 meters to comb through, unless there are terrain type borders that can assist you in getting your bearings.

UniversalRanger

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 05:17:45 AM »
Well, the world tiles are 50 * 50 tiles (100 * 100 m), and you don't know where in the tile you zoom in, so it translates to 300 * 300 meters to comb through, unless there are terrain type borders that can assist you in getting your bearings.

Thank you. I have since found other tracks and such and found that they don't really help much anyway. It's far better to just wander around zoomed-out until you happen to see some random animal.

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 12:51:46 PM »
I found a rather easy way to do this quest. VILLAGERS often leave tracks in their fields and around the village. Identifying these is sufficient for the quest.

UniversalRanger

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »
I found a rather easy way to do this quest. VILLAGERS often leave tracks in their fields and around the village. Identifying these is sufficient for the quest.

I was at the point where I actually had to kill something. I had found other tracks prior to that, but I was thinking that we were supposed to be using tracks to find an animal.

anything