Development > Development News

Craftable birch-bark items and associated ponderings

(1/3) > >>

Sami:
Craftable birch-bark items are a thing now.
You can make boxes, and baskets, and shoes and caps - and also birch-bark ropes.
Character's CARPENTRY skill determines the success of birch-bark crafting.

And while I was at it, leather/fur cloth crafting times and material requirements were also touched a bit. All the material requirements have been increased to slightly exceed the finished cloth weights, and crafting times of smaller clothes have been reasoned by increasing or decreasing the required time.

And while I was studying the nature and construction of birch-bark shoes, I found a remark that if birch-bark shoes were used in a field work they lasted in usable condition for maybe two weeks. So in real life birch-bark shoes should wear out pretty quickly if used extensively.  And as our characters usually tend to walk ridiculously excessive distances on almost daily basis it got me thinking of adding wearing out mechanism for shoes and boots so that you would need to replace them every once in a while.
So...something like that is also very likely to be added now.

PALU:
Nice additions.

The only downside I can see to have footwear wear out is that it would be rather pointless to put in the effort to try to hunt down Masterworks quality (or even Fine) ones, as they'd wear out and you'd be back to the ones you can craft yourself. It's bad enough when the only "wear" is battle/injury damage...

koteko:
@Sami could leather boots be made craftable? This would pair perfectly with the wearing-out.

Also probably leather should last more than fur, I wager. And quality should factor in, shouldn't it?

PALU:
I believe the logic behind player made clothing being capped at decent quality is that higher quality items would require a considerably larger work investment, and the current system supports interruption/resumption of only a few tasks, so higher quality items would need support for working on the items for several days.

Titanium:
Maybe for footwear there should be a new quality type, or rather rigidity, durability factor,...

To elaborate, footwear could deteriorate at a constant rate for each "step" you take. Better "quality" footwear would take far longer to go down on the scale. But also different materials would affect this rate, for instance using one would take longer to deteriorate than using another of the same starting quality.

For this, the quality levels could go, for instance, from best to worst: durable, dependable, (no tag), basic, shambles/wrecked

As for why you would want to have better footwear, maybe having durable would just take longer to degrade, but having lowest quality ones would make you go slower (same as would having no shoes, but you could maybe have a chance to get a cut if walking barefoot on certain type of terrain?).

Just my two squirrel hide cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version