UnReal World > Modding

New furniture item: "Chest" for storing things

(1/2) > >>

Dungeon Smash:
Sometimes the cabin tends to get a bit cluttered, especially in long games.  It's perfectly possible to stash large piles on a single tile, but it looks messy to simply dump everything on the floor.

It would be nice to be able to build a furniture item called "Chest".  I would imagine it would function similar to a cellar, but without the added benefit of keeping food fresh.

It would particularly be nice for clothing items, since those seem to tend to pile up the most.

Faatal:
The BAC mod has this built in.

Brygun:

--- Quote from: Faatal on April 26, 2019, 07:02:41 PM ---The BAC mod has this built in.

--- End quote ---

It does???

*Brygun keeper of the BAC wanders off to check the mod*

hmm... probably Carpentry...

Yep...

Wooden Treasure Chest.

Well... sort of.

It will create a nice graphic of a chest. As to whether it will display on top or under the piles of stuff isn't something I can code. Possibly picking up and dropping it will change the display sequence.

There is also an outdoor table with a pretty big graphic to clean things up.

A hard coded storage location would, AFAIK, have to be coded by Saami or Erkka. That is the only way (AFAIK) to have the cellar like graphic affect of deactivating the display of all the pile of stuff. The chest, table or other item function as big things hopefully covering the pile.

The BAC furniture items could well display as if the chest was bursting with clothes. Which might fit your immersion too.

Dungeon Smash:
Yes, I was a little surprised to learn this was already in the mod too. I built one in the game, and you can indeed make it display on top of the other items by dropping it on top (I roleplay this as "closing the lid".) It does appear that larger items like cloaks are poking out the sides, but my chest at home isn't that different...
I agree that it would need special coding, and probably belongs more in the suggestions area.

Night:
Currently attempting to create this with more realistic functionality, had a question for anyone interested in using this mod when I complete it, as I'm pondering ways to "open" the chest, just in terms of user-friendly operating. One idea I had was to have a craftable item called "Open Container", this would activate my mod when crafted into the inventory, opening up the container's UI.

I could also, implement it as a hotkey (will probably do this by default) but, I'm wondering what other peoples opinions are. If I use crafting as the opening action, it would allow you to modify the time it takes to open containers, possibly more.

Oh also, this should allow anyone else who wants to make "container mods" to do so, as ill be implementing some custom options for changing container UI and settings.

Edit: after many hours I have made significant progress, but haven't completed it yet. May be awhile before I release as I'm leaving sunday, we'll see though. I was hoping to take my projects with me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version