Topic: Agricultural suggestions  (Read 3463 times)

Dungeon Smash

« on: April 21, 2019, 01:01:14 AM »
I've just recently started playing around with large-scale agriculture for the first time in this game. 

It would be neat if things like rainfall and sunshine actually affected how much the crops grow, and how fast.  Right now, it seems to be determined right when the seeds are planted, using your Agriculture skill.  However, in real life, crops are heavily impacted by weather. It would be cool if you didn't necessarily know how much barley or peas you were going to get right off the bat, and instead you had to wait to see how the weather helped or hindered your crop.  Perhaps your Agriculture skill could help ameliorate the negative effects of bad weather, allowing your crops to survive flooding or flourish despite insufficient sunlight.   I know this is a very complicated idea, but I think the person who modeled the ice forming & melting simulations for this game could probably handle it ;)

This year in the game, I also had another interesting thing happen: we had a late frost in spring, preventing me from planting crops for over a week.  Some crops were already in the ground, but they survived the frost fine.  I think it would be interesting if late frosts could destroy your crops - moderated again, of course, by agriculture skill.  It would be frustrating, but that's the life of the farmer!

Saiko Kila

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 06:53:04 PM »
Agriculture need some touches. For example plants growing out of season is a bug of the game. I'm too lazy to check out if it was already reported, but when you re-visit a place you've been to previously, you can see such things like rye or berries ripe in April or May (all plants on a map square are affected). I sometimes exploit it, and have a harvest festival in early spring.

Also timing of planting and withering is quite rigid, and actual weather doesn't affect it too much, except in case of bugs.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:06:23 AM »
I actually looked at the planned features section of the URW website, and it turns out most of my suggestions are already in plans for development  :o :-[ ::) :-X  That's what I get for not checking first!  Sami & Erkka are obviously on top of their game.  I will wait to see what they have in store, but still - here you have one voice from a fan, saying that I am eager for these features! :P