UnReal World > General Discussion

Sheep killed a glutton?

(1/3) > >>

Saiko Kila:
Recently I've found a new mini-village of Kaumo, and noticed they have a pen with two sheep. Inside the pen was also a small glutton carcass. One of the sheep had seven wounds (all of them shallow tears) and was limping. I have examined all villagers I could find, and none of them had a weapon ready, meant they didn't fight recently, and the fight was probably instantly simulated when entering the village.

I've encountered many villages with peasants enclosed in pens, but that would be the first time with wild animal inside. I wonder how a sheep could kill a glutton. Admittedly, a sheep is about twice the size, but still, sheep are the most cowardly domestic animals in the game.

PALU:
I've had a dog killed by a wild reindeer, and it's possible to get hurt as well as to get dodge and/or shield training by getting reindeer and elks to attack (since there are no wild sheep I haven't tried that training method with sheep).

Tom H:
Could it have been a wolf in sheep's clothing? (hehe)

Saiko Kila:
I used savescumming (save from before entering the village for the first time) to get some alternatives, and found that:
- the wolverine is always present nearby
- it enters the village and pen only if there are sheep, shortly after the player
- it only skims the border if there are pigs, and doesn't enter if there are no animals at all

In one case I was able to ask about animals, got a ram and sheep offered, went to see how many animals were there and found all two of them dead, with wolverine injured inside pen (four injuries). It quickly hopped over the fence and ran away.

So it seems that the sheep can injure wolverine, but usually are victim to it. This first time the sheep was just very lucky.

--- Quote from: PALU on March 30, 2019, 10:17:15 PM ---I've had a dog killed by a wild reindeer, and it's possible to get hurt as well as to get dodge and/or shield training by getting reindeer and elks to attack (since there are no wild sheep I haven't tried that training method with sheep).

--- End quote ---

You know, I tried it many times, but it is very hard to make elk enter the aggressive move. I sometimes throw several items at it (because it seems to be less lethal than hitting it) and in like 99% it loses consciousness or just die before it attacks me. In my current character, who is in his 5th year, only one elk attacked. But yeah, with other characters I had attacks, and also lost a dog once.

Now I train shield with bear, without attacking it at all (except a single throw for aggro) when it's trapped. But even a bear dies suddenly during training in the third our fourth day.

PALU:
The technique I use against reindeer and elk is to chase it around until it's exhausted, and then walk around to stand in front of it until it attacks, but it's a fair bit of work do do it. The ideal is to manage to herd it into a pocket in between trees where the only way out is through the player: that can give a lot of training. It's also possible to order a dog to stay to block an exit, but the bugger moves away anyway after a while.
That kind of training gets really tedious when the skill level gets high, though, and I tend to give up after about 600 attacks (at which time the character is hungry).
Attacks to aggravate the animal is counter productive in the sense that it tends to fall unconscious. Also note that these attacks are *not* aggro attacks, so dogs don't react to it.
Of course, when performing that kind of training top level protection is needed for the occasional attack that hits.
Also note that trapped animals are more dangerous, ironically, because they typically aren't exhausted, and thus don't suffer from huge fatigue penalties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version