UnReal World > Gameplay questions

Stews

(1/4) > >>

Labtop 215:
I might be doing something wrong, but if you already have smoked or dried meat, is there really any point to making things like fish stew and meat stew?  Especially meat stew.

It seems like I'm getting less nutrition per cut of meat that I stew than if I eat the dried or roasted form of that meat.  Same thing if I boil the meat instead of stewing it.  I havn't tried adding herbs to the stew yet though so that might be what's missing.

PALU:
I haven't bothered with the details of nutrition, so I can't answer that part.
- However, smoked and dried meat last for a long time, and I think you eat a bit more of it than fresh meat. Thus, fresh food is a way to save the preserved food for later, while using up the perishable one.
- Stew adds other stuff to the meat, which means you'll get more food out of a given amount of meat, so it lasts longer. I also think a stew lasts slightly longer than roasted meat, but I'm not sure of that.
- From a role playing point of view, variation is good, and a delicious stew surely is better than delicious dried meat?
- The nutrition model is rather incomplete. I believe it's intended to be fleshed out in the future to request more of a balance to the diet.

Brygun:
AFAIK the nutrition system preserves the aspects like protein and carbs. The mass and thus density can change.

A stew has a lot of water, which has no protein and no carbs.

As an example
1 lb of meat
3 lbs of water

Eat 1 lb of that stew gives you 1/4 lb meat so 1/4 the nutrition but 1 lb worth of hunger is used. Plus a reduction in your thirst (not sure)

This might be what you are seeing.

Labtop 215:
Okay, so from a survival aspect, meat stew is a terrible choice then, because all your really doing is combining 3 cuts of meat and a small quart of water, and it takes 4 hours...

When I got radishes from a village to the south (glad I can buy them instead of having to steal them and then avoid the place for like 6 months), I found that fish soup was a little better, in terms of nutrition to meat, since you are adding weight and some small nutrition from the radishes as well.  Still seems strictly worse than roasting, but I like the idea of eating fish soup instead of dried meat all the time at the very least.

On that note, I do hope the nutrition system get's an overhaul at some point.  I know the idea is that you are supposed to require meat in order to not starve, but it seems like meat is too powerful in that regard.  Like if you eat 5 fistfuls of raspberries instead you'll drop like several nutrition levels.  Not even joking, it's like the people of iron age Finland went foraging for potato chips or something.

PALU:
There are no radishes in UrW, so I assume you mean turnips...

As Brygun said, nutrition input is preserved (no losses and nothing gained through breakdown for easier digestion), so adding just water dilutes the food, making it more filling but with a lesser nutrient density (and it also satisfies thirst to some extent). Thus, a "stew" consisting of just meat boiled in water mean the nutrients are just diluted. If, however, you add other things, such as herbs or vegetables, you add to the nutrient contents on top of the meat, but you're still diluting it.

I use the Njerpezit Cooking Mod, so it was a while since I used vanilla stews. With that mod I tend to make Hunter's Borsch (a meat stew with fresh meat plus dried meat, vegetables, and herbs, most of it optional) as my first choice, a rather boring fish soup (I'd like to see something more like bouillabaisse) as the second one, and Goulash (a vegetable stew with some smoked meat) as my third choice. Dried/smoked meat is used on trips.
Berries in UrW are nearly useless as food, unfortunately, and trying to live on it will drop your nutrition level, but keep you alive (I don't know for how long, though), and an occasional addition of meat from a bird helps a lot in that desperate case. I'm not sure you're better off picking the berries rather than trying to hunt, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version