Topic: Bait order relevancy, various questions  (Read 6574 times)

Tom H

« on: February 28, 2019, 07:49:49 PM »
When I bait a trap with, say, meat, a turnip, and some berries, does it matter which is first/last? That is, does the prey see ALL the various baits, or does the last one placed obscure any others? I've always wondered about that.

Is there a medicinal use for roots from plants like bearpipes, dogpipes, etc? Thus far, I've just used them as vegetables in my cooking.

Re: Dried/smoked meats- I've found that the program often combines like types of prepared meats (ie: tasty smoked elk) even when the batches were prepared at different dates. I'm assuming that these combined stacks will go bad as a whole, rather than staggered as they were in their creation. Yes? Does the game consolidate ALL like types, always? When it does so, does it set the 'use by' date according to the first batch made or the last batch combined?

When I catch the flu, does it exacerbate the condition if I spend a lot of time out in the snow or rain?

I ran across a wounded adventurer in a village recently who did NOT have a quest/mission to recover an heirloom, he's just a wounded man. Can players reach a point where the missions no longer occur?

Why aren't berries considered bait for bear traps?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:53:32 PM by Tom H »

Ara D.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »
Bear pipe is unreal coffee it will roll back some tiredness ie after eating or drinking you will go from a bit tired -> lively

PALU

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 09:59:01 PM »
As mentioned, bear pipe and mother pipe are amphetamine analogues. It's listed on the wiki plants page.

Stacking is based on being the "same", which means they'll go stale at the same time if stacked. If you split the stack (storing it in different places), I believe the decay rolls are made separately for the stacks. This indicates that preserved meat does not follow the same decay mechanism as fresh food does. However, fish does only stack to a limited extent even during winter, when fresh meat stacks readily.

There were bugs surrounding wounded adventurers that have since been fixed, so it should be possible for an adventurer to have healed up sufficiently for the quest not to be available any longer if it's taken you some time to encounter the adventurer (rather than having a quest for an adventurer who wasn't sufficiently injured, and thus kept running around in a way that made it impossible to catch him to actually get the quest). The adventurer shouldn't give you the quest if he's going to be mobile before the quest timer expires.

You can bait bear traps with berries like any other traps, so I assume the question is rather whether berries are valid bait for bears?

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:15:14 AM »
Great replies, thanks!

Yes, I'm asking if bears will eat berries and trigger the trap.

Still wondering about whether multiple baits in a trap are all visible to the prey...

PALU

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
I've tried multi baiting, and bait has been eaten. However, I haven't checked stack order, and there aren't any tools available to determine whether the prey was drawn to the trap by the bait or whether it stumbled into the trap and then ate the bait as it was available.

I've had bears eat fish (if I recall correctly: I've baited with fish in bear traps, at least, and I thing some was eaten) and meat, but I don't think I've tried berries.

Tom H

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 02:03:08 PM »
Yes, bears take the raw fish in traps. I like to carry a roach with me because it's so light, for times that I want to immediately set up a bear deadfall.

Ara D.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 03:26:52 AM »
 I use small game fat like squirrels or birds for the same reason. Even several are less than .1

Tom H

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 11:34:54 AM »
I use small game fat like squirrels or birds for the same reason. Even several are less than .1

Yes, that's good advice. I mention the roach because in the early I can always acquire those, whereas I may have some trouble trapping the small game.

PALU

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »
Small game is actually the easiest to get early: you just set up a few lines of the smallest lever traps, and birds are bound to get caught in them sooner or later. You don't even need to have any tools to make those traps, although it's easier if you can cut down small trees). Squirrels are easy to hunt with rocks once you've encountered them (which is on an opportunity basis, rather than something to hunt for actively). I've never had much luck with early fishing, as it's been a way to extend the time it takes to starve to death (I've never gone the full distance, though, but given up once starvation gets bad, and gone over to hunting).

Tom H

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
Small game is actually the easiest to get early: you just set up a few lines of the smallest lever traps, and birds are bound to get caught in them sooner or later. You don't even need to have any tools to make those traps, although it's easier if you can cut down small trees). Squirrels are easy to hunt with rocks once you've encountered them (which is on an opportunity basis, rather than something to hunt for actively). I've never had much luck with early fishing, as it's been a way to extend the time it takes to starve to death (I've never gone the full distance, though, but given up once starvation gets bad, and gone over to hunting).

That sounds astonishing to me! I've had some difficulty, occasionally, catching fish but I've never starved to death. ummm, I'll bet you play with less optimized PCs than I do. With a PC with little skill in fishing, I can imagine failing badly. I've had some bad streaks even when my PCs have their moderate skills, around 40. Contrariwise, I've played a PC skilled in fishing and found he took days to make a paltry lean-to shelter. That one died from exposure...lol.

PALU

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 08:18:54 PM »
Yes, I never put points into fishing, but in skills that are hard to train, which generally means fighting skills... The only times I have had trouble with making a shelter are the ones where my character is exhausted (due to starting the building too late), stops building, falls asleep, wakes up to the rain, continues on the shelter only to more or less immediately stop again, fall asleep... It takes time when only equipped with a crummy stone knife and having an injured arm, though...

I'm not fond of fishing for a few reasons:
- Fish doesn't stack well. Even in the coldest winter the same species ceases to stack after a short while, making drying/smoking use much more cord than it should. Smoking is generally silly, since you can't expect to get much of any stacking at all. I'd really like smoking fish to allow you to use branches through their eyes rather than cord (as can be done in real life).
- Fish doesn't yield cuts, and when you only catch one fish in a day you want to eat it, not sacrifice it, and it's a real waste to sacrifice a salmon if you happen to catch two (though you can sacrifice the remainder when making the vanilla thin soup).
- Neither vanilla nor the Njerp Cooking Mod contains any appetizing fish recipes. I guess I could try to invent some bouillabaise type recipe for a thick, nourishing soup, though, but so far I've been too lazy.
- Fishing is time consuming when not using a net, and when using one you get tied down by a need to pick the net up again in a timely manner (it's not really worse than tanning large hides, but more frequent). Nets also get worn out.

anything