Topic: [Diary entry] Skiing and tracking  (Read 6953 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:45 PM »
I guess we haven't seen any lynx related dev's diary entries here at the new forums. The old forums surely had some. So, how about a little picture story from the real world adventures of unreal world developer - with a lynx involved.

I went skiing the other day, and the ski trip then turned into a tracking exercise. Soon after entering the forest I spotted some lynx tracks, but our paths then departed as I went about my own trails.

Later, when returning home, strange curly tracks caught my attention - and sparkled my tracking instinct. I guessed that this might be the same lynx now dragging its kill, and had to confirm the theory.

I scouted the area, found lots of hare tracks, and then the lynx tracks which eventually turned into sneaking tracks as it approached the location.

The hare's last dance with the lynx went to many directions until finally the place where it ended was found, with some hair and (not too old) bloodscape.

There, the lynx had dragged its kill to a more peaceful location for eating it. That was some twenty meters away, among thick young spruce trees. Not much was left of the hare, but a few hairy bits on the snow.

Afterwards, I had to search for my backpack for half an hour as I had left it somewhere on the snow in excitement. I enjoyed the day and I hope you enjoyed this first, but hopefully not the last lynx related diary entry at these new forums.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Mati256

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:42:32 PM »
Amazing report Sami! Thanks!

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:32:52 AM »
Hahah! Many times I've done a similar thing both in UnReal World and the Real World - leaving my backpack or gear somewhere in excitement, and then having to track it down again.   ;D  One time I thought I lost a very valuable water pump in real life, due to its being in a green pack.  Or, alternatively... my leashed-up cow and stack of furs in the game.  I thought I was the only one!

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
Hahah! Many times I've done a similar thing both in UnReal World and the Real World - leaving my backpack or gear somewhere in excitement, and then having to track it down again.   ;D  One time I thought I lost a very valuable water pump in real life, due to its being in a green pack.  Or, alternatively... my leashed-up cow and stack of furs in the game.  I thought I was the only one!

Hehe, you're certainly not the only one. I think forgetting where you left some of the gear you carried in the woods  is surprisingly common and natural. And you think you would learn from it, but you don't :)
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:59:36 PM »
Well, at least you had snow cover, so it's reasonably easy to follow your own tracks backwards. I bet it's a lot harder during summer...

When it comes to my leashed cow/dog in UrW, I zoom out and make a note on the tile and try to leave the tile on the overland map to be able to zoom back in at the correct location when I return. That tactic doesn't work at all in real life, though...