UnReal World > Suggestions

No harpoons? Unique ranged hunting weapons in finnish culture?

(1/4) > >>

More_tribal_interaction:
1) Can we have a harpoon for stabbing seals and reeling them in? Would make hunting more exciting. Seel hunting is such an integral part of the lifestyle of many coastal tribes/cultures.

2) There are unique ranged weapons specific to particular cultures like the atlatl, boomerang, and there's this non-lethal weapon made up of stones tied together with strings that are thrown around an animal/human's legs to trip them up.
Are there any such weapons used by iron Age Finnish?

3) Can we please have a lasso system to capture forest reindeer?

Signatus:

--- Quote from: More_tribal_interaction on January 16, 2019, 10:50:57 AM ---1) Can we have a harpoon for stabbing seals and reeling them in?
--- End quote ---

It's called the ango

--- Quote ---3) Can we please have a lasso system to capture forest reindeer?

--- End quote ---

That makes no sense...

Bert Preast:
1) It would be nice to be able to attach ropes to the ango so as to attempt to hold a speared seal... though obviously if the seal weighs more than you do then it's unlikely to end well!  Maybe tying the bitter end of the ropes off on a tree would work, but it would often be a long wait to ambush a seal in range.

2)  That's a bolas, and I don't think one would be any use in a forest.  Where a spear or arrow may penetrate undergrowth to hit an animal's legs, a bolas won't.

3)  I have seen Sami people using lassos to control tamed reindeer, but I reckon you'd have to get very close to get an un-penned wild reindeer with one.

Dungeon Smash:
I would agree that a rope tied around the ango would be quite nice.  Not sure if it's historical or not

More_tribal_interaction:
I'm 150% sure that harpoons for whales/seals have been in use by seafaring cultures for very long. What I don't know is whether harpoons were used in Iron Age Finland.

As for Signatus' reply, you are aware that the ango doesn't come with *rope* right? How can something be a harpoon if it doesn't have rope attached?

@ bert preast, you can use dogs to run the reindeer to exhaustion before lassoing? It would be fun to be Klaus and gather your own reindeer tribe. All you would be missing are short helpers with pointy ears...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version