Topic: [not a bug] Aptitude not updating  (Read 5723 times)

Acolyte

« on: January 05, 2019, 11:44:40 AM »
When completing a game course and choosing to raise the attributes the attributes raise but the skill aptitude stays the same. Skill aptitude is an average of attributes so if they all go up by one shouldn't the aptitude also increase by 1?

Thanks!
   - Shane
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:33:40 PM by Sami »

davidor

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 04:25:12 PM »
0-9 *
10-13 **
14-18 ***
just increase 1 may not give you an extra *
also there is no solid evidence proofing skill improve rate is depend on number of * or the average value of attributes

Acolyte

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »
0-9 *
10-13 **
14-18 ***
I know this.  :)
I was not talking about the number of stars, I was talking about the number that they represent.

also there is no solid evidence proofing skill improve rate is depend on number of * or the average value of attributes

It says right in the skills page (when you press "s" in game, showing your character's skills)

"Your natural aptitude for learning and developing skills is rated by stars *. This is determined by your physical and mental attributes and affects the pace of skill improvement."

The URW system is based on the HarnMaster system (modified quite a bit) but aptitude is what Harn would call "Skill Base". When you get an improvement roll in Harn, you roll %dice, add your skill base and try to roll over your skill. If you do, skill goes up by 1. The higher your skill, the harder this is, the higher your skill base, the easier it is.

There are some added factors in URW, but Aptitude should still make improving easier.

- Shane

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
When completing a game course and choosing to raise the attributes the attributes raise but the skill aptitude stays the same. Skill aptitude is an average of attributes so if they all go up by one shouldn't the aptitude also increase by 1?

Thanks!
   - Shane

Nope, I don't consider that relevant (and I'm not sure if harnmaster original rules do that either) as the aptitude is "inborn", original quality for given skill.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Acolyte

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 05:43:15 AM »

Thanks!
   - Shane

Nope, I don't consider that relevant (and I'm not sure if harnmaster original rules do that either) as the aptitude is "inborn", original quality for given skill.
OK, I can see that. But to correct you in Harnmaster your attributes don't go up - but they can go down due to impairments and this does affect your Skill Base. No need change it really (especially not to add in impairments  :-X ).

Good to see you back in the saddle, so to speak.  ;)
   - Shane