Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336674 times)

Brygun

« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2019, 03:37:10 PM »
If/when the other ores methodology gets developed I/we can reconsider it for the BAC.

BAC also aims to have an educational or real world aspect. In the case of weapons gold, silver and bronze are all inferior in performance to iron. For decorations they do look better. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it is better. Which also applies to dating.

Signatus

« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
If/when the other ores methodology gets developed I/we can reconsider it for the BAC.

BAC also aims to have an educational or real world aspect. In the case of weapons gold, silver and bronze are all inferior in performance to iron. For decorations they do look better. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it is better. Which also applies to dating.

That's not quite true. Having played Dwarf Fortress quire a bit, I know that silver is actually more useful as a blunt weapon material due to being denser than iron. Bronze and iron are pretty much on par when it comes to both edged and blunt.

You can check the DFwiki for info about each material's properties : http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon#Weapon_Material_Quality

It's surprisingly realistic.

It's pointless to make a gold weapon, I guess, but it's a gold weapon nonetheless... it can either be sold or kept as a cerimonial or just a special sword. It's worth noting that it isn't easy to mine enough gold for a sword or spear, I think. I wouldn't bother with gold armor at all though.

I'll share what I made and a few proposals in the other thread first ;)

JEB Davis

« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »
Yes, silver is more dense, and gold even more so. But seriously, nobody in Iron Age Finland would have so much silver laying around that they would waste it on a mace-head and then damage it in combat, especially not a 16 year old kid that just left home. Why not do a reality check here before putting time into mods that are out of the scope of reality.

I'm also saying this because aside from it only being "realistic" in Dwarf Fortress, this kind of fantastic wealth is against the intent of UnReal World. Just a casual look at how the devs have made the game's valuables & trading system makes that obvious, doesn't it?

I think all the wealth owned by all the NPC's would hardly account for one gold mace. Who could possibly barter it from you?

All that said, of course, I'm not trying to stop anyone from modding whatever they want. Go for it. But claims that those precious metals are good for anything other than ornamentation on prize weapons need to be refuted.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:58:50 PM by JEB Davis »

Signatus

« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2019, 11:42:25 PM »
Silver and gold mining might be a stretch, it's true, because it came from commerce. But there was silver and gold there, and they probably already knew about copper mining and bronze smelting for many years. Melting silver rings and bronze jewelry into something usable is one way to get it without mining.

On the issue of copper mining in Scandinavia (Norway in this case): http://sciencenordic.com/bronze-age-people-mine-their-own

And this one is native copper, worked and unworked, from Karelia: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Native-copper-from-Fofanovo-XIII-dwelling-site-in-Karelia-This-exceptionally-rich_fig3_274311218

So it's not that much of a stretch that copper and bronze can be worked, as well as silver and gold if available. My idea with gold is that would have to be pretty rare, but could be easily worked into some nice valuables if available. The "herbal ores" idea might work better because the rarity and biomes could be tweaked much better. If not gold, I think copper/bronze are interesting though

KKarlssoNN

« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2019, 04:09:38 AM »
To make a Stone Hammer it's asking for a axe haft.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:11:45 AM by KKarlssoNN »

Brygun

« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2019, 08:24:22 PM »
To make a Stone Hammer it's asking for a axe haft.

Investigating.

Possible the recipe for axe haft got poofed. It should be getting made now from a short quarter log.

Brygun

« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:21 PM »
Update

Investigation to Kkarlsson query on Axe haft found it showing under the diy_BAC_lumber.txt

Relocation of .Axe haft. from lumber to carpentry.  Likely lumber was chosen before the carpentry menu even existed.

Along the way carpentry was separated from lumber for menu space. The concepts being :
= Lumber is now a more raw materials handling.
= Carpentry is now the more finished goods.

Axe haft in Carpentry should now be easier to find.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:48:28 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
And today I clue in that maybe Kkarlson was suggesting we use slender trunk on the stone hammer

Brygun

« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2019, 05:28:11 PM »
update

minor

Stone hammer changed from needing an axe haft to using a slender trunk

Signatus

« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2019, 11:16:20 PM »
And today I clue in that maybe Kkarlson was suggesting we use slender trunk on the stone hammer

I kinda had the feeling it was because it's called an AXE haft. I guess it does make sense to have stone hammer/axe/adze all take the same ingredients because they are pretty much just a piece of wood + stone + rope.

Brygun

« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2019, 02:20:43 AM »
Well the advanced iron and ball iron hammer also call for an axe haft. It was picked as already in the recipe list. In their case it represents a more specific quality of inner core wood of a large tree with better shaping then the low tech whittling a slender trunk.

I do concede that the stone hammer is on the same tech level as stone axe so matching the slender rod for that also made sense.

Leaving stone hammer as an axe haft would have required felling a large tree then processing via Lumber down to a short quarter log. Which makes sense for quality tools but not for basic 'primitive' style play.

Acolyte

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2019, 03:47:58 AM »
I noticed that your diy_Boneworking has knife handle parts but I can't see anything that uses them - all the knives seem to use a branch for the handles.

- Shane

Signatus

« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2019, 03:51:58 AM »
I noticed that your diy_Boneworking has knife handle parts but I can't see anything that uses them - all the knives seem to use a branch for the handles.

- Shane

It's used only by the Northern knife

Acolyte

« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2019, 03:55:59 AM »

- Shane

It's used only by the Northern knife

Ahhh, so it is used, thanks!

- Shane

Brygun

« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2019, 02:59:50 AM »
Update

Delete your diy_BAC_Ironworking.txt

"Ironworking" menu being renamed "Metalworking" in preparation for including possible bronze etc recipes.

Specific keys within that menu removed (e.g. m and w) so that new recipes will sort naturally in keys.

anything