Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 340323 times)

Brygun

« Reply #645 on: December 14, 2020, 05:35:04 AM »
in next update the Finnish punt step for pointing a log is getting a time step easement from 3 hours to 2.5 hours.

Tuukka even though he made one before, has the same tools, and has higher skills and tries over different days keeps getting that it takes too long with his stone axe. Not sure why. This step is something that was historically done with stone tools so easing the time for it.

Brygun

« Reply #646 on: December 18, 2020, 04:39:36 AM »
Update

The mentioned above plus:

= Bowying
Reorder so steps within the same supply chain are in order. Confused me for a while the old way.

= Lumber
Spruce Mat Fur and Branch Bundle now use hunting horn base object. In play the use of "spruce twig" as the base object for spruce mat fur kept seeing it (made of 40 spruce twigs) being sucked into shelter building as just one spruce twig.
Spruce Mat Fur now references a pit cover graphic which looks closer to the idea.

Brygun

« Reply #647 on: December 19, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »
for next update:

Leather loin cloth
call for cord is now for 4 ft not "1 cord" which could be 15ft

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 19, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
for next update:

Leather loin cloth
call for cord is now for 4 ft not "1 cord" which could be 15ft

I don’t see the exact need of requiring ‘cord’
Loincloth should be fine with rope or withes as well as cord.
Or even tying corners, sides, scraps of the leather on the hips should do.

Brygun

« Reply #649 on: December 20, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »
The loin cloth envisioned is only a small piece of leather for the "critical" area of the groin-butt. The cord goes around the hips, tied to the corners of the leather. A man's waist can easily be 36" hence the 3 ft of cordage needed.

BAC considers "rope" to be thick strong material.
Withes Im not sure how they would work in this.
BAC includes split spruce twigs as a crude low end cordage.

If the leather was big enough to be tied to itself Id imagine you might need a larger sheet like 2 lbs. to be honest I haven't laid out a leather sheet by weight to fit it to myself in such a way.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 21, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »
The leather weight isn’t modeled in-game. I have rolls of sheep suede that’s mere 3oz a sq foot. Or ~90g/900cm2
Vs some top grain tooling steer leather that’s 12oz a sq foot. Or about 360g/900cm2
So the 2lbs leather could cover up to 10sq feet or as little as 2-3sq feet.

I think I was envisioning a Tarzan-esque loin cloth, 2 triangular pieces tied at hips. Not an Amazon basin style thong.

Brygun

« Reply #651 on: December 21, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »
Checked, the loin cloth (fur or leather) calls for 0.5 pounds of leather plus the short length of cord.

Most often survival characters are making these out of bird hides, which are pretty thin and a couple need tying-stitching together.

The cord itself ends up being possibly just small amounts of more leather as a source.

I guess the same leather you are using could be trimmed for ties anyway.

So...

All right.

>>>>

Next update Loincloth fur or leather will no longer require cord

Brygun

« Reply #652 on: December 21, 2020, 08:07:04 PM »
Update

Last few minor changes committed in

Felius

« Reply #653 on: December 21, 2020, 10:51:19 PM »
The hardwood longbow recipes need to have a [noquality] tag somewhere along the process. It uses quarter logs, which are [noquality] themselves, but the dried ones end with a quality modifier, plus they attempt to grab the quality tag from the base quarter log and the branches used, which makes it impossible for them to ever have more than average quality.

Brygun

« Reply #654 on: December 22, 2020, 01:04:25 AM »
Update

Reviewed dried quarter log and dried boards
Reviewed real world drying, which can take months to years

Both no longer call on branches to avoid quality blocks
Both now only take 5 minutes to setup
Both now take 30 days to dry, something still practical for the game (boards were 15d, short quarter log for bows was 120d)
Both still call for axe for trimming, so chance good tools can improve quality
Both no longer call for knife
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:37:09 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #655 on: December 22, 2020, 01:45:44 AM »
update minor

I've tried tweaking the dried boards and dried quarter logs to be able to put materials through multiple times. There is a small skill bonus. Thus if you keep drying it for multiple months you have a change to move the quality up. This reflects letting the wood shrink closer to final with odd moments of trimming.

Brygun

« Reply #656 on: December 22, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »
Update

Bug fix

Under Earthernware decorative items like spinner, clay fish and cave play set had an error which is correct to {Wooden Stake} not {Stake}

Brygun

« Reply #657 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
Request:

The wood and clay figurines could use a custom pic.

I think we could use a tafl or norse king type gaming piece. A similiar draw could be used for both. Just flip them left<>right. The wood would be colored like brown wood and the clay like reddish clay. The difference would make it interesting for players wanting to decorate their maps with the figures looking at each other (or away).

Brygun

« Reply #658 on: December 25, 2020, 04:52:36 AM »
Bug fix

Metal working making steel billet

This may have been a "feature" as the recipe was calling for *billet so could keep recycling a steel billet in your inventory. That could have allowed eventually having better quality. Unless you were watching for it you could never have a second steel billet.

This fix changes steel billet to call for "*iron billet" rather than just "*billet" so you can make more than one steel billet in your inventory. Tuukka went through three tries before I caught onto this.

Buoidda

« Reply #659 on: December 25, 2020, 08:29:37 AM »
Was intentional though just as you explained. It was actually expected to have to work on the same billet over and over again. Poor steel billet would be useless in the weapon recipes.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:35:44 AM by Buoidda »

anything