Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336826 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 19, 2020, 04:19:00 PM »
The great preposition fix.

Just how long did it take to go through ALL of the BAC recipes?  :o

Brygun

« Reply #616 on: November 19, 2020, 04:24:23 PM »
hmmm... a little under 2 hours. Went faster than I thought. Sometimes when I delay doing things I can be in a focused 'groove' and its faster.

Only speed reading for the '+' signs.

>>>>

This is also why reporting ANY bugs is important.

It was 2 hours of speed edit without testing each one. If testing each one this could easily be days of man power, depending on item X is there for recipe Y.

>>>>>

Oh I did notice a couple of recipes were using "perch skin" for glue, like in the northern bow. BAC now has a pine tar > pitch glue. So I could have merged them but I decided for now to leave the perch skin in for a more 'that culture' feel.

I forget now where else I saw perch skin as a glue.

Ah the joys of multiple mod sources over many years, in this case from before the pitch glue was a thing.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:28:17 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #617 on: December 04, 2020, 03:31:56 AM »
Minor update

under lumber

Spruce mat bundles took 40 to make but unpacked as 20
Corrected unpack to same 40

nx4

« Reply #618 on: December 07, 2020, 05:57:07 AM »
Code: [Select]
.Roast ore. (8) "Hunting horn" *COMMON* /1/ \3h\ [noquality] [patch]
{Ore piece} (8)  [remove] [patchwise] [ground] '+as Iron ore'
{Firewood} (8) [patchwise] [ground] '+to pile with ore'
{Firewood} (8) [patchwise] [ground] '+as starting fire'
[NAME:Roasted ore piece]
[MATERIAL:stone]
[WEIGHT:1]
[PRICE:0]
[TILEGFX:bc-orepiece]
// To be lit

Is the firewood supposed to not be removed? I figure it would be, but that's not the case.

Also, as a note, the Kota has duplicate entries; one inside the biy_glossary and biy_BAC_hideworking. Not  sure if this is intended or this is so the player can chose to use the cover hide working craft options or just just use the hide straight away.

Galgana

« Reply #619 on: December 07, 2020, 07:30:46 AM »
Is the firewood supposed to not be removed?

For the sake of immersion, the firewood is supposed to be lighted while the ore is being roasted. The amount of fuel should be enough to keep a fire going for about as long as the three-hour preparation time, if not longer.

Also, as a note, the Kota has duplicate entries; one inside the biy_glossary and biy_BAC_hideworking.

The entry in the BAC file is meant to overwrite the vanilla BIY so that covers made in the BAC Hideworking menu will be used instead of tanned skins of varying size.
This has the effect that, for example: you can trim a 22-pound elk fur into an 8-pound fur cover for a single kota wall and save the remaining 14 pounds of fur for another crafting project.

nx4

« Reply #620 on: December 07, 2020, 07:36:32 AM »
Ah I see, thank you. Just to clarify, both Kota recipes are active.

Galgana

« Reply #621 on: December 07, 2020, 07:58:05 AM »
If you're unsure about which recipe has priority in your game, you can try building a kota wall with a whole tanned skin. If the recipe rejects it, that should confirm the BAC version is overwriting vanilla.

The reason why biy_BAC_hideworking rejects regular animal hides is because the recipe is edited to accept only items with a name ending in "cover". The relevant recipes in the DIY hideworking module allow you to create covers from fur, leather, or woollen materials.
The Primitive Technology and Quality of Life mod also provides a "vegan" alternative thatch cover that uses spruce twigs.

Brygun

« Reply #622 on: December 07, 2020, 07:23:16 PM »
The firewood should have been consumed.

The reason it appears twice is the original used to require you to actually build a fire. For BAC by the time you are making ore you are likely well past starting a fire being a challenge. Still need to consume the material. It also made repeat batches easier to make as you don't have to keep remaking small fires. In real life you would slowly add material over the burn time which we can't model in the game.

Reminder: Please include which menu or file the recipe is in. It helps efficiency in code fixes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:27:36 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »
Working on some changes to the tying equipment section.

Some ideas from Bouidda's 2.1 like braiding cords into a rope. I did have braided spruce roots but directly using cords is another idea.

Still trying to keep "String" as a high quality item for uses in bows.

Debating on how split spruce twigs could be made into a rope. Right now their coding and BAC phrases avoid calling them when quality matters. So split twigs are good for hanging meat or simple building. A rope though would be a major item as it allows rafts (island survival challenge) and huge bear traps.

Bouidda did research suggesting Alder isn't good for making cordage. There is also Willow, Rowan that have "bark". Not to mention pine and spruce. We have birch-bark in its own category already. Not sure how to limit to only willow or rowan. Plus those are much harder to find.

Brygun

« Reply #624 on: December 07, 2020, 10:29:25 PM »
Experimental update

Trying things in the Trying Equipment and Barkware based on discussions with Bouidda and the 2.1 version of his/her mod.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:53:12 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #625 on: December 08, 2020, 01:33:42 AM »
Known there are issues with the tying equipment in the last BAC update

Testing fixes now

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:06:41 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #626 on: December 08, 2020, 02:52:57 AM »
Post 1 of this thread set back to the v089 BAC

v090 Tying equipment has a few issues to work out

Brygun

« Reply #627 on: December 08, 2020, 05:51:07 AM »
Update

v091 has corrections to the Tying Equipment update

Have tested through the supply chain of: gathering spruce saplings in winter, getting the bast out of them, turning bast into cord, turning cord into a braided rope, using rope to make a stone axe, confirmed joining and splitting ropes made.

Brygun

« Reply #628 on: December 08, 2020, 07:27:24 AM »
Update

v092

Seeing Tuukka freezing to death even though he had a large fire, firewood nearby but couldn't abort the task I've tweaked the split logs to half > quarter > radial change slightly from base 30m to 25m. In actual play with low skills, stone-axe and freezing issues it can go on almost 10 hours. In that time the fire goes out. Currently game mechanics don't allow restarting the task. So if you stop from dying you lose 5-7 hours of work or maybe you die. In reality you would have a partially split log when you restock the fire than resume. This tweak down is to make it less likely you will die doing something you ought to be able to. One could also burn more firewood to begin with, like 200 lbs or more, but this has its own imbalance.

This is meant as a balance with the game mechanics, largely due to the lack of the restart crafting.

Buoidda

« Reply #629 on: December 08, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
... freezing issues it can go on almost 10 hours. In that time the fire goes out....

why not just use a large trunk for this fire? Burns well over 10h