Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336743 times)

BlankPaper

« Reply #570 on: August 30, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
Not the mod creator, but I think I can go over a couple things here;

Arrow velocity is modeled ingame but not represented by any user-facing numerical value to refer to. It's entirely possible that the primitive hunting bow's arrows are faster (bigger draw) than the primitive bow's, like a longbow's arrows have been proven to be faster than a shortbow's. Faster arrows means fewer misses on moving targets. Since I don't have access to those values, this is speculation (edit: for BAC's weapons), but it's possibly the reason behind the heavier weight.

Fowling arrows are meant for birds, the lower point damage is enough to kill a bird without mangling it, and I think they're supposed to not go quite as far (according to their description) making it in turn easier to retrieve them. It's also possible that the weight of the arrow has a direct impact on that, and that it was an easy way for the mod creator to control how far they go. Again, speculation on my part.

Boards can get you 20 arrow shafts, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Fletching > Split arrow shaft allows you to select up to 9 shafts to be made at a time, and it removes 1lb worth of wood from a plank for each shaft with the plank getting its durability reduced accordingly, making 20 per plank total.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:54:24 PM by BlankPaper »

nx4

« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2020, 02:49:31 AM »
Ah I must have missed that with the boards. Oops. Guess that can be ignored.

From what I remember and read, around here and such, is that the only difference between any of the bows is its point damage and weight. The thing that determines a player's success and such with a bow is the character's stats, as I understand it.

I had not considered that with the weight. Still though, in that case it would be cheaper to use blunt arrows instead. If I shoot an arrow and don't find it right away, I am not going to spend half an hour or more looking for it. Its a waste of time.

BlankPaper

« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2020, 09:00:50 AM »
Re: Bows and arrows

Check this thread out, Teellox did some amazing testing regarding the more obscure parts of bows and common misconceptions;

https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5649.msg15191
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:11:10 AM by BlankPaper »

nx4

« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
Maybe I should have posted that link in my last post, but yes, I was referring to that thread. Still though, it doesn't really change anything. You can't have a higher projectile velocity and still have the same damage/force as a shot that is slower. As a note: This is in disregard of the kind of arrowhead the arrows have and just focused on the projectile exclusively. The arrowhead is just the method of delivering the accumulated energy behind the projectile and only determines how that energy is delivered.

So to say the primitive hunting bow that shoots at a higher velocity while doing the same damage as the other bows that can only shoot at slower velocities is wrong. If it does, then that is magic. Each bow is tied to their point damage, which is their velocity and 'accuracy' value. Though the use of accuracy should be worded more like 'ease of use'. As its easier to hit something with a higher projectile speed due to having to lead less and so on, especially at farther ranges. The real accuracy comes from the character's stats.

Anyways, my point still stands, having a heavier bow that shoots the same as the other two and yet cost more is a waste.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:36:13 AM by nx4 »

Brygun

« Reply #574 on: August 31, 2020, 06:06:39 PM »
Brygun here going through recent posts:

Blankpaper on various staff etc updates to Caethon:
Very likely the BAC grabbed as source material an earlier version of his.
It would help a lot if you could help narrow down which recipes need what changes. You can PM on the forums if you want for this purpose.
I've got a few other things on, like editing a novel I wrote this summer, so the time to do a wide spread code chase that is more an improvement vs a bug might not see much time allotment.

Blankpaper on leather tarp no remove bug:
Inputted for next update.

nx4 various comments:

Weight issue:
The game not registering the weight code also appears on the barrels. They do not appear to be something a modder can correct. Cause and correction seems to be in the base game and wasn't solved for the barrels reported earlier.

Bow:
Primitive bow is in part there for those wanting to role play a primitive only technology. Its not necessarily any better, in fact should be a little worse, than having good tools to make even a simple bow. I think that was what was meant from the source mod. IIRC it was self-sufficiency but its been a very long time.
Also a bow having a higher carry weight doe not necessarily mean it has more power. Inferior power to weight is rather implied in the name "primitive" bow.
IIRC it was meant to be in as something you might make without having much skill or tools until you could indeed ditch it for something better. Some starting characters, like in the escaped slave scenario, are very limited in what they can make.

Fowling arrows:
Big lumpy blunt arrows for breaking bones on birds rather than pegging them into high up tree branches.

Battlesword:
Limited menu space was part of it. Given the limits of the number of menus one decision I made was to leave some of the very high end items >out< like chainmail armor. This is something that remains for players to have their characters quest for or for the player to be nudged to try out modding themselves.

Kaumo spear:
As with battle sword a mix of limited menu space, leaving out top end items and in this case also leaving out cultural items. There were mixed views on allowing culture items with the question that a character of culture X may or may not know how to make item of culture Y. Again, its a reason to quest or develop some modding skills.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:08:24 PM by Brygun »

BlankPaper

« Reply #575 on: September 01, 2020, 02:54:49 PM »
No worries! I had already made those changes to my own diy_glossary file, so I'll just send it to whole you via PM.

From what I've seen, caethan's mod also has some nice custom graphics for flax, smithing hammers, barrels, bone weapons and a bunch of other stuff that I haven't seen in yours, so if he agrees (or already agreed) to it, they would be another great addition!

Regardless, nothing pressing, so good luck with your novel!  :D

Brygun

« Reply #576 on: September 01, 2020, 04:59:51 PM »
Regardless, nothing pressing, so good luck with your novel!  :D

Thanks.

Remind me on the Cauthon graphics to check with him or the integration. Active people on the forums I do go with what they yea-nay while long away folk are a bit more complicated as this is public non-profit modding though I do endeavor to respect any wishes they may have made known.

>>>>

On the bows again:
I did a look at the BAC code and this is the primitive bow

.Primitive bow. "Juniper bow" [effort:2] [phys:stance,arms] *CARPENTRY*  /70/ |1|
{Slender trunk} [remove] [noquality] [ground]
{Cutting weapon}<Knife>
{Bowstring}       [remove]
// the vanilla one =)

1) It requires only a knife. This is consistent with the idea of it being simpler to make. May be chunky but it will send an arrow down range primarily for small game.
2) No "tiller" needed either which itself requires more build time that in a survival situation means building up more starvation
3) No game stats are changed. It draws on the Juniper bow base recipe so the weight and other scores are 100% from Saami's vision.
4) This represents a bow you can make to survive or to role-play "low tech" (which some do) understanding that once you have more tools, like an axe, and some food you can take the time to make a more efficient bow. Much like how you can make a stone-knife and stone-axe yet with the iron working you can one day make iron-steel ones.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:20:36 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #577 on: September 01, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »
Update

Based on input from community member BlankPaper:

= Utility wood items given the "Caethon tweak" so that staff replaces slender trunk in a few utility recipes with the skill percents rebalanced. This is so skill can lead to better quality items

= Leather tarp missing [remove] in recipe fixed

Not yet done:
Suggested graphical additions, largely pending on time and gathering so if someone wants to help with that it would be be appreciated

caethan

« Reply #578 on: September 08, 2020, 11:04:15 PM »
FYI, you're welcome to borrow any work from my mod.  Some of the graphics are mine directly, others are borrowed from other folks.  Please do attribute the work, particularly work I borrowed myself (attribution is in the README for my mod).

Paka

« Reply #579 on: October 06, 2020, 05:04:03 AM »
I can't seem to find the birchbark lace required to craft the unfinished two wood longbow in any of themenus.

zwierzax

« Reply #580 on: October 06, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
I can't seem to find the birchbark lace required to craft (...)

Many of craft items have different names and is not consistent - made by different authors...
I look at you "for core wood"...

Brygun

« Reply #581 on: October 07, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
I'll look into the birchbark lace.

on other issues

Proper feedback doesn't benefit from vague humor. If you can mention specific recipes and it helps with menu (or DIY file) it will help fix things.

Yes, there is a lot of different author sources and with the main game updating at times there can be one or a few of hundreds of recipes blipped by a change.

Proper feedback is good feedback. Which recipe of which menu is good feedback.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:20:30 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #582 on: October 07, 2020, 05:44:15 PM »
Fix for the bows shortly

The birch bark lace in the bowying section dates to a game version before we could harvest birch bark as a base item.

Brygun

« Reply #583 on: October 07, 2020, 05:49:17 PM »
Update

Fixed old birch-bark lace issue for the two wood bow in the bowying DIY

Brygun

« Reply #584 on: October 07, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »

Many of craft items have different names and is not consistent - made by different authors...
I look at you "for core wood"...

Which item in which menu?