Topic: [to 3.63 only] Community mod BAC: Smith, Cooking, Survival, Carpentry, Sewing  (Read 336700 times)

Galgana

« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2020, 12:44:35 PM »
To get just hemp, you need to harvest the hemp patch through the [A]griculture skill menu. Then the hemp patch becomes the hemp plant (under the Plant inventory category), which is what the soaking recipe requires.

Brygun

« Reply #511 on: June 29, 2020, 04:04:53 AM »
Thanks Galgana.

Welcome Mouse1122. Is that a post Norman invasion Mouse?

[quote author=Mouse1122 link=topic=4712.msg14418#msg14418 date=1592954573
Also, If anyone know a good Play-through using this mod on youtube I would appreciate a link.. Just trying to learn all the new things.
[/quote]

Love to hear of one too and Id by happy to link it in the first post.

Myself I havne't tried youtubing yet, though its a possible future thing. I did do a character blog using BAC with the Character Novrus at https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4640.0

There was also Cornan but he died much earlier than expected

BlankPaper

« Reply #512 on: July 07, 2020, 02:33:39 AM »
I've got a small issue; none of BAC's buildings (road/big rock/tarp shelter) seem to display in my game's building menu. Am I looking in the wrong place? Did I forget to activate something?

Galgana

« Reply #513 on: July 07, 2020, 05:04:29 AM »
The new building recipes are packaged as initially disabled via file name with the prefix "_biy_". The rationale for this is because some vanilla recipes are replaced. To enable the new recipes, delete the first underscore in order to get the proper prefix "biy_" which makes the text file readable to the game. You can find previously-unbuildable objects under the wooden building menu (or at least that's where they end up in my setup).

BlankPaper

« Reply #514 on: July 08, 2020, 09:24:47 AM »
Cheers! The already enabled ones also used the names of vanilla buildings, made them blend in.

Brygun

« Reply #515 on: July 09, 2020, 01:26:42 AM »
Thanks for helping each other out.

A core functionality of Unreal World is that each "result" will only use the most recently loaded "recipe" so there is only one way to build an X at a time. Thus if there were several ways, that is several recipes, there does need to be those manual steps. So far they have only been needing for the uilding menus.

Brygun

« Reply #516 on: July 09, 2020, 01:28:16 AM »
Matching game update 3.63

Necessary function matching for 3.63

As far as I have seen so far this was for the:

= Sauna stove under building
= Vasta brush under utility

Please advise if testing doesn't go well. This was done as a quick fix upon seeing the steam announcement.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #517 on: July 09, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »
Matching game update 3.63

Necessary function matching for 3.63

As far as I have seen so far this was for the:

= Sauna stove under building
= Vasta brush under utility

Please advise if testing doesn't go well. This was done as a quick fix upon seeing the steam announcement.

Hmm. To easen updates, I'm not sure if I've mentioned it clearly anywhere but with mods it's the best policy that the mods feature only what's new addition,
and within their own file names, and don't include the vanilla stuff at all.
This makes it all easier as if new vanilla stuff is added you don't have to touch mods.
But in contrary if mod incorporates all the vanilla stuff, and uses the vanilla file names, and then we make slightest update to vanilla files - even to fix a single character- the steam auto-update grabs them and thus resets stuff for all the Steam users have it on.
Also, if mods would only feature what's new and their own, and within their own file names, players can make integrity checks on Steam without worries - to make sure vanilla stuff is up-to-date. Otherwise the original files are grabbed again and mod installation lost.

Just a though, as it's surely a burden to keep things updated. With only-new own-filenames approach the compatibility with version updates remains better.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Brygun

« Reply #518 on: July 09, 2020, 01:28:16 PM »
    Also, if mods would only feature what's new and their own, and within their own file names, players can make integrity checks on Steam without worries - to make sure vanilla stuff is up-to-date. Otherwise the original files are grabbed again and mod installation lost.

First thanks Sami for stopping by.

The viability of that approach is limited by game mechanics of:

1 = Only one way to build an item. 
    So no duplications are allowed. Thus mods which allowed other walls or kota building require blocking the vanilla recipes. For example there there are different "shelter" options in the BAC like using a tarp you carry or even a punt as a roof but only one of three (remember to count the vanilla) is allowed to exist. If you want to use one of those alternates then there must be a modification of the vanilla to "switch off" or forced loading order.

2 =  No sub menu branching:
     In order to have the spaces for the number of items that now exit they must make use of the limited spaces in the vanilla menu lists.  In order to be findable there must be reallocation of which menu vanilla items go. If there were sub menus then I could use a few "letters" to start off the branching for all the necessary slots.

3 = Reasonable organization:
    There are are alot more things to deal with say wood to so there is a split into different categories. In some cases it makes more sense to move the vanilla item into another menu. In concept the vanilla game may have an item in "X" but in the large mod there is now "X1" and "X2" so the glossary file must be edited in someway to put the item in the write new menu. This is a smaller influence than the desperate need for menu spaces but it does have an impact.

4 = Menu location is done by a zone in the text files:
    If it was possible in the recipe to assign what menu an item went into, which is not part of the current language, than I could use load order (of even the single recipe construct) to tell the vanilla file to put item "Y" into a different menu like "Z". Currently this is not possible. Menu location is controlled by being written as:
    [start menu]
    X
    Y
    Z
    [end menu]
    This is a core programming decision which I believe could be very consuming to implement a change to.

So long as the # of new items is small so far I need to edit typically the diy_glossary and biy_glossary which does indeed mean a system verification would see the mod versions of the file as not the same.

I do remain in favor of things like trades being pulled into the vanilla game for things like iron working, weaving etc though currently mods like the BAC are managing that. In theory any recipe pulled into vanilla structure is one less for the BAC to worry about.

Again thanks for stopping by Sami, could to see you.
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:06:08 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #519 on: July 09, 2020, 01:39:30 PM »
     ???

Hmmm

If there was some way for a modder to tell a vanilla recipe to go to a different menu I would be able to avoid editing the biy_glossary and diy_glossary.

I can already tell the game to use the alternate recipe for an item.

Currently AFAIK the only way I can tell the game to put an item someplace else is by glossary editing.

Query: Is  that true  :o

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:06:46 PM by Brygun »

Zhid_13

« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2020, 10:24:14 PM »
    I just installed the mod but now I can't use my usual fishing spot. When going to the lake I used to fish on and trying to fish, the game says "There is no open water around here!"

Any help?

(Nevermind, the lake suddenly froze and I didn't even realize because it was dark. LOL!)
    « Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:44:49 PM by Zhid_13 »

Brygun

« Reply #521 on: July 11, 2020, 12:02:53 AM »
    (Nevermind, the lake suddenly froze and I didn't even realize because it was dark. LOL!)

Totally an Unreal World moment right there  ;D

Zhid_13

« Reply #522 on: July 12, 2020, 03:08:55 AM »

Totally an Unreal World moment right there  ;D

Yup!.. Been having fun with your mod, is very interesting and I love having all the self-sustainability options each with it's cost.
    However today I've been trying to build a bunch of fences, and when I open the Tying Equipment tab on the crafting menu, the game suddenly crashes! I've never experienced this, not even before with your mod installed while I crafted some other ropes for smoking food.

I dunno why this happens, I can attach my game files if it'll help.

I've noticed it always happens after I open the Tying Equipment menu, craft something, and then if I open it a second time, that's when the game crashes
    « Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:27:00 AM by Zhid_13 »

BlankPaper

« Reply #523 on: July 12, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
    Interestingly - and possibly related - I noticed my game crashed sometimes when I hovered over leather ropes in my inventory (or when grabbing them from the floor) a second time in one play session. The first time would go fine and on the 2nd attempt, the moment I hovered over it, my game would crash unceremoniously. Only leather ropes, mind you, not cords, not yarn.
    « Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:05:48 AM by BlankPaper »

Brygun

« Reply #524 on: July 12, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »
    Interestingly - and possibly related - I noticed my game crashed sometimes when I hovered over leather ropes in my inventory (or when grabbing them from the floor) a second time in one play session. The first time would go fine and on the 2nd attempt, the moment I hovered over it, my game would crash unceremoniously. Only leather ropes, mind you, not cords, not yarn.

:o ???

Not sure how a recipe change could do that.

Are you able to make the leather rope at least once?

anything