UnReal World > Gameplay questions

Best way to preserve berries long-term ?

(1/3) > >>

Petike:
What's the best method of preserving berries for a long time, e.g. the autumn and winter until spring, other than just chucking them inside a cellar ? Can berries start to spoil or rot in a cellar ?

Thank you kindly for any and all advice.

ModernNorseman:

--- Quote from: Petike on December 06, 2018, 05:14:23 PM ---What's the best method of preserving berries for a long time, e.g. the autumn and winter until spring, other than just chucking them inside a cellar ? Can berries start to spoil or rot in a cellar ?

Thank you kindly for any and all advice.

--- End quote ---

Hi! :)

They will spoil in a cellar as well, yes, however, it will be at a slower pace. However, they will rot fairly quick and won't last you through a winter. You can however look through the mods forum, for various food mods. Some will give you the ability to dry berries, which have a longer spoilage period.

Petike:

--- Quote from: ModernNorseman on December 06, 2018, 06:15:30 PM ---Hi! :)

They will spoil in a cellar as well, yes, however, it will be at a slower pace. However, they will rot fairly quick and won't last you through a winter. You can however look through the mods forum, for various food mods. Some will give you the ability to dry berries, which have a longer spoilage period.

--- End quote ---

I see. It's a real pity the base game doesn't already have more food preservation methods. I thought drying could potentially work, but I've never seen anyone mention that method outside of meaty food sources. One of those things that feels like an oversight in the game. Drying at least some of the fruit and plants for the inhospitable season, as backup supplies, should be an option.

Privateer:
from News.txt

--- Quote ---And item modding is done the same way with cookery recipes.
        Here's a recipe for dried berries:

.Dried berries.     *COOKERY*   /25/ \10d\  %50%    :151: 
        {Berries}   #1#     [remove] [roast] [name:Pile of dried %s]
        [SPOILAGE_DAYS:0]
        [WATER:0]
        [COOK_WEIGHT_DIV:10]

--- End quote ---

Saukko:
To expand on Privateer's post, you can get a slightly hackish way of drying berries by copypasting that snippet to the cookery_glossary.txt file, for example into the vegetable recipies section, before the [SUBMENU_END:vegetable] tag. I say "slightly hackish" because as far as I can tell, the salting/smoking/drying methods are hardcoded and you can't expand on them - so it has to be made into a recipe, which is a bit counterintuitive and doesn't really work like drying berries or mushrooms would in real life (the cooking recipe methods need you to have a fire, but in reality you can dry berries or mushrooms the same way you can dry meat or fish in the game - it just wouldn't take as long). It would be nice if the salting/smoking/drying methods could work with wider selection of foodstuffs, but I doubt the devs would consider it a high priority since the recipe mod can be used to create almost the same effect.

EDIT: Never mind, I wasn't thinking properly... Anyway, I noticed that the devs are planning to add berries and mushrooms to the foodstuffs that can be dried - so maybe next version will have that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version