Topic: Well...shiite!  (Read 7373 times)

Tom H

« on: November 27, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
One week before midwinter, 4th year. I have the habit of removing most of my clothes in the cabin in order to work hides. I know I picked them up but I guess I neglected to WEAR them when I went out. I didn't notice that I was freezing? Yep. I got the notice that my neck suffered frostbite...and I died! I'm sure I died as the richest man in the wilderness...bah!

davidor

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »
Yup, hypothermia death is no longer limit to "frozen to death" temperature. If the game give you a warning, take it seriously.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 05:35:30 PM »
Yup, hypothermia death is no longer limit to "frozen to death" temperature. If the game give you a warning, take it seriously.

I didn't get a warning! It was just 'neck is frostbit', you've died'! It's because I was walking. If I'd been trying to start a fire or something like that, it would have told me I was suffering from the cold. Because I was only walking, it waited until it was fatal.

( as noted in a later post, I actually WAS warned...meh)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:29:53 PM by Tom H »

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »
That wasn't the only thing that got frostbite  :o

If walking you might have accidentally pushed through the messages or missed it as the game was spitting up "you see here" messages.

However, perhaps when it comes to an injury perhaps make a suggestion to force a stop box. If you are holding a key down to walk it >might< just flicker off the screen.

Tom H

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »
I'd spotted robbers already and was watching the screen to make sure I did not stumble into them. It's all cool. I learned a TON of stuff playing that guy.

It may seem strange but I view my characters like someone I visit at the hospital with a fatal illness. I know what's coming, just not when. It was sudden and over in a second, a good way to go...lol.

davidor

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »
There should be
Code: [Select]
You are shivering all over from the cold and feel confused.
You've become drowsy and confused from the cold and can barely remain conscious!If not, can you post your msglog.txt? (in ANCESTORS folder)

Saukko

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:25:27 PM »
Being rather new to the game, I've noticed that I often forget to pay attention to the messages or meters, as there is no "tangible" feedback - nothing's been fatal so far, but I often walk or work till I drop from exhaustion because I'm focused on what the character is doing on the screen and don't pay attention to the right side of the screen (especially when there's line after line of messages of my dog barking in hunger or the bull bellowing). If the character started staggering, or the screen dimmed when you're getting too tired, it would be a more prominent cue. Or in the case of forgetting to wear clothes in the middle of winter, a blue tint over the screen as you start feeling the cold...

Tom H

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »
There should be
You are shivering all over from the cold and feel confused.
You've become drowsy and confused from the cold and can barely remain conscious!If not, can you post your msglog.txt? (in ANCESTORS folder)

Oh, yeah, it's there.

(CC3333):kcie:[&]{0239062C}      | You've become drowsy and confused from the cold and can barely remain conscious!
(3C5A98):kcie:[:]{023C0632}      | You feel a minor frostbite in your neck.
(663333):kcie:[&]{023C0632}      | You feel warm for a moment, then lose your consciousness...
(A80000):kcie:[!]{023C0632}      | You have died...

There were a number of such warnings, in fact. However, if I were trying to light a fire, skin a hide, etc, I would receive a pause with the message. Because I was watching for robbers on the map, I failed to regard the warnings. It's my fault, no doubt of that. But, if there'd been a pause with the messages while I was walking, that guy would still be enjoying his winter wonderland...heh.

Tom H

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 10:25:16 PM »
Being rather new to the game, I've noticed that I often forget to pay attention to the messages or meters, as there is no "tangible" feedback - nothing's been fatal so far, but I often walk or work till I drop from exhaustion because I'm focused on what the character is doing on the screen and don't pay attention to the right side of the screen (especially when there's line after line of messages of my dog barking in hunger or the bull bellowing). If the character started staggering, or the screen dimmed when you're getting too tired, it would be a more prominent cue. Or in the case of forgetting to wear clothes in the middle of winter, a blue tint over the screen as you start feeling the cold...

those are all excellent recommendations! lol... How many times have I repeatedly ignored my dogs barking at a passing bird while I try to eat a bite of dried elk?

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
I like the idea of a blue tint.  I almost had a very successful character die recently because he was walking around in his own yard nude during winter....

tedomedo

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
I always have backup of my save folder.