Topic: Process to boil poisonous mushrooms?  (Read 1045 times)


Roheline

« on: November 29, 2018, 05:23:49 PM »
I recently had a character get poisoning (non-lethal thus far, continuing to cross my fingers!) from eating from a pot of boiled tellervo's gift mushrooms. Based on the wiki and my character's own herblore knowledge ("poisonous unless boiled") my assumption was that boiling them would be sufficient, but I still got poisoned.

What's the missing step here? Is there an action I missed to somehow empty the water out without losing the mushrooms? Sticking to browncoat and yellowcoat for now until I can get this clarified.

Saukko

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 06:51:00 PM »
You need to use the pot of boiled mushrooms as an ingredient for another mushroom recipe - if you just eat them directly from the pot after boiling, they are still poisonous (because the water in the pot still contains the poison). So, for example, you can make a meat stew using the pot of boiled mushrooms as the mushroom ingredient - or boil the previously obtained mushrooms again to get mushroom soup.  This does require cooking with two pots, so it's not immediately obvious.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:53:39 PM by Saukko »

Saukko

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »
Actually, you don't even need two pots - you can get by with a wooden bowl and a pot. After boiling the mushrooms once, transfer them into the wooden bowl, and then use them as the mushroom ingredient in another recipe.

Roheline

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
Ah, so that's the missing step that sort of simulates "pouring out" the presumably poison-rich water from the boiling. Thanks for your help, friends!