Topic: Does cured skin or hide retain preservation even after starting tanning process?  (Read 5359 times)

d2shr6o8av

« on: October 18, 2018, 08:30:18 PM »
I've been curing every single skin or hide I've had out of fear that it would either rot or degrade.

As the title says, does curing all your skins/hides give you long term protection from rot or degradation, even after you started the tanning process?

How long does it usually take for a skin to degrade and/or rot during the summer?
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
I've use curing to preserve skins about once... I would expect curing to preserve the skin until you start the tanning process, but once there, I'd expect things to proceed normally.
In the summer skin degrades quickly. I think you can get unlucky and have it degrade even if you process the skin at full speed, but that might be incorrect. I believe I've had cases there my character got too tired to actually start to clean elk skin so that was delayed to the next day, at which time it had degraded one step, but again, I'm not sure.
Tanning an elk skin is usually a 3 day process, with the first day being kill/butcher/clean/tan 1, the second morning being tan 2, and the third day spent performing the final stage.
Delaying any of the steps by a day ought to risk having the skin degrading.

d2shr6o8av

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
I've use curing to preserve skins about once... I would expect curing to preserve the skin until you start the tanning process, but once there, I'd expect things to proceed normally.
Makes sense, but adding my relatively short gameplay time + gut feeling, tells me that the curing protection extends past the tanning process.

I believe I've had cases there my character got too tired to actually start to clean elk skin so that was delayed to the next day, at which time it had degraded one step, but again, I'm not sure.
What you said, and I don't like to rush/tie myself to my camp for the next 3 days.

Tanning an elk skin is usually a 3 day process, with the first day being kill/butcher/clean/tan 1, the second morning being tan 2, and the third day spent performing the final stage.
Where do you insert drying/smoking/cooking the meat cuts in your routine?

After taking down a medium/large animal I usually:

Close to home:
  • Unless I or my pack animal can't carry the whole carcass home, I skin and butcher on site.
  • At home I drop the skin and meat cuts in my cellar that has access to water.
  • I eat/drink as needed.
  • Dry/smoke as much of the meat cuts.
  • Depending on how many meat cuts I have left (ran out of cords) and how much short term food I have (fish/meat soups in the cellar), I make enough soup to fill up my short term food supply and then roast the rest. 99% of the time my camp is by rapids and so I have no trouble maintainig a steady supply of fish soups.
  • I drop all the roasted meat cuts in the cellar.
  • I eat/drink as needed.
  • I clean the skin.
  • I cure the skin.
  • If I have a good amount of roasted meat cuts left over, I rush to a village to sell them.

Far from home, but close to a village:
  • I skin and butcher on site.
  • I carry the raw skin and raw meat cuts to the village.
  • I roast all the meat cuts by the fireplace.
  • As soon as all the meat cuts have turned into roasted meat cuts, I sell away as many as I can.
  • If the village has a water tile that I can find, I clean the skin there, otherwise I head over to the nearest lake/shore.
  • I eat/drink as needed.
  • I clean the skin.
  • I cure the skin and I mark the location of the skin and when I should come back to pick it up.
  • I head home to drop my loot/purchases.

Far from home and village:
  • I skin and butcher on site.
  • I pick up everything and head over to the nearest lake/shore and look for a suitable spot (preferrably adjacent to a water tile and tree). If I can't carry everything in one go, I carry all the meat cuts that I can, find a suitable spot and roast meat cuts in batches of 10, and then I head back to pick up the rest.
  • As soon as I've finished cooking the meat cuts, I eat roasted meat cuts and drink as needed and then I clean the skin.
  • I cure the skin and I mark the location of the skin and when I should come back to pick it up.
  • I rush back to the nearest village to sell the roasted meat cuts. I go back and forth if I can't do it in one trip.
  • I head home to drop my loot.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:17:31 PM by d2shr6o8av »
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

Edico

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
It seems like food/hides/perishables/only degrade at the turning over of a day (right around morning/latemorning.)  I think if your hide is still in the process of tanning at that time it won't decay, but if it finishes early morning and sits and you don't get to it until late morning, I think it degrades.  Sorry if this is somewhat off topic.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
I think Edico is almost correct. I believe there should be a "may" before decay, because there's a chance of decay, not a certainty. You can, for instance, have a stack of roasted meat cuts and a partially eaten one, and see only one decay.

My first priority is tanning, so once while the skin is going through the first and second tanning stages I take care of the meat (and have it stored in a cellar as much as possible). This frequently means I'll start drying of a few batches after starting the first tanning stage, go to sleep, start the second tanning stage, and then take care of the rest. Tanning takes a long time, so there's a fair bit of time to take care of the meat.

I don't hunt far from home. If I see game while on a trip I'll ignore it, as I don't want to be tied down taking care of he food/skin for days. If on my way back I may very occasionally go for some game where I can carry everything back home (which shouldn't be further than the rest of the day away in summer).

If I were to hunt near a village I'd use their sauna to smoke the meat (or build a shelter to dry it, if the season is suitable). I've heard villagers make take some of your smoking meat once it's prepared, but it shouldn't be a substantial loss. My preference is always to dry/smoke meat, saving only as much fresh meat I need for cooking (using the Njerpezit Cooking Mod). Spoiled meat can be used as dog food, as long as it isn't prepared.

Labtop 215

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 06:42:08 AM »
From what I can tell, the game advances item age around mid morning somewhere.  Once you begin the tanning process again, the curing wears off and the skin has to be tanned asap.  You should also cure the skin asap if you intend to do that as curing dosn't reset the age, so much as it prevents the age from advancing any further until the process is resumed.