Topic: Defence bonus, disarming and blocking tactics  (Read 5436 times)

werepacman

« on: October 13, 2018, 04:57:13 AM »
With planned approach you can lure Njerp in woods cripple his leg and kill far away from camp. So you can win battle with crude staff.
But even best sword cant help you if you run strait to enemies.

I like how combat mechanics is made.
And want to understand more.

When defense bonus is used, with blocking or with parrying?

How to effectively disarm opponent? With blocking, parrying, or just hitting arms? Does the defense bonus plays role on successful disarm?
Does the type of damage (blunt), or some weapons are better for disarming or hitting some body parts?

davidor

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:11:36 AM »
Blocking. There is no such thing as parrying. Counter attacking will use attack bonus.

The best way to disarm your opponent is to attack their arms. Or just keep in combat whey their are heavily wounded and exhausted, they will have higher way to failed an attack and may drop their weapons. An successful block vs clumsy attack can also disarm their weapon. It is all about the roll of [your skill + your weapon bonus - you stat] vs [opponent skill + opponent weapon bonus - opponent stat]

tedomedo

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
I don't want to see that a njerpez camp spawns near my house. To delete new njerpez camps, you have to backup files kulttuuri.dat, MARKER.DAT, WORLD.DAT when you start playing with new character. When a njerpez camp is created, replace these files with backups.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »
Hey, you should cherish those Njerp camps! I've never seen any except the ones you start in with the escaping slave scenario.

werepacman

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »
I like Njerp camps as they give reason to play. Because since you build a house and set a traps you are safe and game can become boring.

werepacman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
Yes contrattack is a right name for what I meant by parrying.

What are advantages of blocking if you have contrattack? To axhaust an opponent?

davidor

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
With counter attacks you get tired faster and more easier to get hurt. Blocking will not tire you and safer, but keep blocking and try to exhaust your opponent isn't a legit strategy as your opponent is most likely to end you up with lucky hits.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »
Well, blocking should work quite well if you've got someone else to attack (like a dog) the enemy in the back. When the enemy then turns around, it's time to strike...

If you're heavily armored you should be unlucky to get bad injury when hit, and if you're heavily armored you might actually want to rest up a bit between you (counter)attacks, and if the enemy is skilled and has a weapon with a greater reach you may have a slim chance to land a strike before the enemy is has tired enough to lose some skill. In that case, blocking or dodging and backing away works fairly well at tiring the enemy: he'll soon be slower than you, at which time he'll run himself completely into the ground. Once breathless you can kill him by throwing rocks at him from the safe distance of two tiles... This assumes the enemy doesn't have a bow or crossbow: those are always dangerous.

Edico

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 11:00:34 PM »
With counter attacks you get tired faster and more easier to get hurt. Blocking will not tire you and safer, but keep blocking and try to exhaust your opponent isn't a legit strategy as your opponent is most likely to end you up with lucky hits.

Does countering use fatigue points? I was under the impression that it doesn't. It seemed like a decent strategy to preserve fatigue points (and weapon quality) if you're well armored and skilled is to skip your attacks and only counter attack.