Topic: Unpleasant noise during rain - on linux Kubuntu  (Read 4935 times)

werepacman

« on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:58 PM »
Unpleasant noise during rain - on linux Kubuntu.

I hear rain, but also two vibrating sounds one after another with same time.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:32:31 PM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:46:27 PM »
Hmm. This sounds like system / audio driver / SDL_sound specific. According to web searches at least Kubuntu & Pulse Audio noise failures seem to be common, but it could be audio decoding issue in SDL library on your end. SDL bugzilla has had some reports about .ogg decoding failures on Linux. For manual hack you could try to open audio/rain.ogg sample and save it again with different parameters and see if your system gets a proper grip of it then.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

werepacman

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »
What exactly should I do? Download source file and extract it to the folder?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »
What exactly should I do? Download source file and extract it to the folder?

I'm not familiar with Kubuntu but in case you want to try updating SDL libraries (or audio drivers) there must be update manager within Kubuntu, though I don't know what it's called.

But in case of trying manual audio hack, you can find all the game samples in folder called audio/ in your game's installation folder.
There you can find rain.ogg which is a sample for rain. Now if you have an audio editor (audacity for example) you could try to open rain.ogg and save it back with different parameters (if some are available). Or maybe just open it, crop it a bit, and save back with audio editors .ogg defaults.
There's no guarantee this will fix things, but the issue sounds like audio decoding problem.
- Sami | UnReal World creator