Topic: Pausable weapon crafting  (Read 537 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: April 01, 2024, 09:09:47 PM »
The current pausable crafting mechanics have been tested quite extensively by now and only a few adjustments have emerged.
This is promising as eventually all the item crafting will be come pausable - and lesser the problems at this point, the sooner it happens.
For the time being we're still proceeding in small sections and next the crafting of weapons listed [M]ake->[W]eapons category will become pausable.
There will be some adjustments to certain weapon production times as they can be now increased to more reasonable levels.
Shortbows for example will get an average production time of 12 hours or so. A skilled character with quality tools may still be able to craft a shortbow in a day, but with mediocre skill and tools it's a process of several workdays.
Stone-axe will get the greatest production time increase - we'll be talking about 50 hours or so. It really is a slow process to get the stone blade knapped and grinded out to shape that is efficient for felling trees. Thus, stone-axe will become a survival option which you won't take up too lightly.
For other weapons the changes won't be that dramatic, but changes are still to be expected.

These are future features - not yet functional in 3.83.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 02:47:27 PM »
Will there eventually be a modding tag for marking a task as pausable? I don't see it on the development page yet.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 07:58:58 PM »
Will there eventually be a modding tag for marking a task as pausable? I don't see it on the development page yet.

Yes, there will, in a few versions - likely to be reached still this summer. When we're there the pausable crafting will be the default, so the tag is likely to be [unpausable] etc.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 07:33:02 AM »
That sounds great!

kirfkin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 08:21:28 PM »
Shortbows for example will get an average production time of 12 hours or so. A skilled character with quality tools may still be able to craft a shortbow in a day, but with mediocre skill and tools it's a process of several workdays.
I like this a lot. It also gives a much stronger use case to the quick-bow, I think.

Stone-axe will get the greatest production time increase - we'll be talking about 50 hours or so. It really is a slow process to get the stone blade knapped and grinded out to shape that is efficient for felling trees. Thus, stone-axe will become a survival option which you won't take up too lightly.
For other weapons the changes won't be that dramatic, but changes are still to be expected.
Makes a lot of sense too.

But what if I get really lucky and find a nice, sharp rock? :P

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 05:21:49 PM »
I hope the pausable crafts are “loose” i.e. can be picked up. Net making makes sense to be a fixed location task. But weapon (and other small item) crafting I feel one should be able to put the half tillered bow stave in one’s pack and work on it at any location. Same with last phase of tanning really.