Topic: Ending up far up on land when using punt  (Read 5153 times)

PALU

« on: February 20, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »
I used a punt to cross a river by zooming out, traveling one tile, and then zooming in. I then ended up far up on land (while still on a river tile), presumably because I've gone there during the winter, and thus have zoomed out from the water. The tile is a river bend tile and my location is some 5 tiles diagonally from the river course changing point (on the "outside" of the "knee").

There's a need for a check that the stored zoomed in location is valid for the traveling mode, and use the default one if it isn't.

This is a minor inconvenience as I'm using a punt, but I wouldn't like that to happen with a raft loaded up with logs...

irontide

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:16:07 AM »
This happens to me regularly, though thankfully a lot less since the way rivercraft work has changed (the same patch where you can't move onto land with a rivercraft from the zoomed-out map). I have a save available where I can recreate this every time.

This happens, as far as I can tell, because the borders between land and sea are not quite hard and there is some leeway where tiles on the border of a water tile can have some land on it, and vice versa. When you zoom in, it tries to put you at a sensible place, but that process doesn't respect the fact that the border between land and water is fuzzy.

This used to be far worse when the same behaviour didn't leave you a few tiles inland, but did things like dump you in the middle of, say, a cliff tile  :o

Podesta

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »
You have to be careful and find a 'suitable' place for docking. As long as the place where you move to the world map have transitioned to a 'land' biome you'll be fine. On some maps, the water biome extend a fair amount of tiles inland, so keep checking for the tiles where the water recedes more.

anything