Topic: Where's the Sling?  (Read 5878 times)

Stonelobber

« on: July 01, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
First of all, not new to the community or forums. I never post on here much, but I did write a stone knife mod for 3.20 UW which gave us all an alternative to not having the ability to craft a knife for ourselves in the wild should we find ourselves without.

Recently I've been working on a much larger project for UW involving the use of a sling in game, provided with variables and damage modifiers as well as using different GFX tiles. I hope to release it to the community probably within the next 30 days.
But that's not why I started this post. Just wanted to ask why the sling hasn't been added to the game sooner? It's a very old weapon that did see great popularity in Iron-age Scandinavia as well as Europe and the Americas.  Simple ammo consisted of stones and lead shot, but could be modified to throw anything. Given, it was considered the ranged weapon of the poor back then. The Bada** Finns during a war lobbed molotovs at Soviet tanks in just the past 80 years. If that isn't bravery, to use stone-age technology against modern war machines, Idk what is.
Still, we have leather, cords, tying equipment and what have you, plus rocks... The beauty of the sling is in it's simplicity.
It would only seem realistic that it would be in game.  :)

Anybody else wanna see the sling in UW? Any of you guys have any opinions on why it should or shouldn't be added to vanilla?  :)

"Similarly, the Finns made use of sling-launched Molotov cocktails in the Winter War against Soviet tanks."   ----https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)

Lurcolm1

• Not freezing to death is achieved by murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
I actually raised this issue on Reddit. I don't know XD

JEB Davis

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
I have no idea if iron age Finns used slings or not, but it would seem a reasonable addition, I look forward to your mod.

Lurcolm1

• Not freezing to death is achieved by murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
I have no idea if iron age Finns used slings or not, but it would seem a reasonable addition, I look forward to your mod.

As do I!

Stonelobber

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »
This is the current script I've come up with to put a sling into the game. Seems balanced enough. Store it in your diy_glossary and test it if you'd like. I've made a Tile to replace the belt but it will be out with my "Primitive World' mod.  The belt is the closest thing in game to the sling imo.

.Sling. "Shortbow" [effort:1] [phys:hands] *COMMON* /25/
{Tying equipment} (3) [remove] [noquality]
{Cutting weapon}
[TILEGFX:ar-leabelt]
[TYPE:weapon]
[WEIGHT:0.5]
[PRICE:1]
[SKILL:flail]
[POINT_ATTACK:1]
[EDGE_ATTACK:-]
[BLUNT_ATTACK:6]

.Stone Ammo. "Blunt arrow" [effort:0] [phys:hand] *COMMON* /1/ [patch:10]