Topic: Portraits won't show.  (Read 8503 times)

DemAvalon

« on: July 29, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
The player's portrait does not show up in game only on character creation and the ancestor screen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:25:31 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
The error report is probably too short on details to allow for any investigation:
- What OS and UrW version are you using? Any mods?
- Has it worked before? If so, have you done anything recently that might have caused things to change? (OS/UrW upgrades, driver upgrades, installed/removed mods...)
- Have you experimented with replacing portraits with your own?
- What's being displayed instead of the character portrait?
- Does it happen when you generate new characters as well?
- Anything else you can think of?

DemAvalon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:40:38 PM »
-Windows 10, 3.40 (stable).
-It used to show the portraits on an older version (3.30?) its been a while, I thought it might have been mods but then I did a clean install and the problem persisted.
- as I said above, I did, but the problem persisted on a clean install.
- this is 
Spoiler: show
also same thing on dialog with NPCs, their portrait shows up fine (even modded)

- yes, it does, as I said on my previous post the portrait selection shows up fine (as well as the ancestor screen) but as soon as the game starts the portrait no longer shows.
- the first time I installed this version the player portrait showed (I remember it was fine on conversations) but I had a weird bug where the screen started flickering (portions of the screen would go black and alternate), I did not take a screenshot, but after saving and quitting the game and reloading it stoped, the portrait thing seems to have happened after that, but I'm not certain.

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »
is the file 200x200 png?
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

DemAvalon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »
Yes, as I said even the default portraits on a new install won't show in conversations or the character profile.

Edit: I did not even know something was supposed to show here (This portrait I'm pretty sure never worked) Until I installed the game on my brother's laptop
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:23:36 AM by DemAvalon »

DemAvalon

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:44:07 AM »
Huh..., so after installing on my brothers laptop, grasping at straws, I tried installing it on program files instead of my usual folder, and that worked, all is fine now (even with mods), so I think it maybe did not recognize the characters from the folder's name or something (the folder where I install is called Não apagar temporario, maybe the ~ had something to do with it.)

PALU

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the tilde modified character isn't recognized properly in one of the path interpretations UrW uses (but apparently it works in some of the others). Sami should probably take a look at that.

I generally place my games in my Games folder and I avoid installing to program files, as that path is on the OS disk, which is full of junk the OS installed/keeps cluttering up.

Anyway, good to hear it works, and it's also good to get feedback about what appears to be the problem (for any others encountering the same problem).

anything