Topic: [Fixed - 3.72.2] De-hair sometimes not needed... but CAN be done, nevertheless.  (Read 4624 times)

Nictalope

« on: February 13, 2023, 08:02:14 PM »
Hi again.

Sometimes when I'm cleaning/curing/tanning several -sometimes many- skins,
I've noticed that bird skins can be de-haired with no aparent different results at all. (you don't get more feathers or something)
Also, this can be applied, -in the same skin- several times at different stages of treatment, after cleaning, after curing...
I found this particularly because of the mess to remember in which state each skin was at the moment,
and at one point I realized I did de-hair the same bird skin a couple of times, so far that skin was in treatment like close to a week in all.
Maybe adding a red sign 'This is not necessary' and stop the process could be added, whenever we try
to de-hair a bird skin, or a 'you've already done this step' whenever we try to de-hair
an already de-haired skin. However I'm not sure it can be done twice on fur skins, I'm sure about the bird parts only.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 02:53:07 PM by Sami »

Bert Preast

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 12:14:48 AM »
You pluck a bird skin when you skin it, that gives you the feathers.  There is no need to de-hair a bird skin, that is only for furs that for whatever reason you might want to convert to leather.

Generally speaking, leather is worth much less than fur, so you are best keeping mammal skins as furs.

Nictalope

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 01:56:27 PM »
I'm already aware of that, I been playing for about two decades, so far.
I thought it was clear from the title, it seems not.
Well, english would be like my 4th language, anyway.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 02:21:49 PM by Nictalope »

Bert Preast

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 12:37:43 AM »
Apologies for taking you for a noob!

Nictalope

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 02:23:23 AM »
Rather, I thought (I think still, hehe) I am/was unable to express myself properly.
No apologies needed, really.
I suppose is how people start to know each other.
Cheers

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 11:57:25 AM »
Sometimes when I'm cleaning/curing/tanning several -sometimes many- skins,
I've noticed that bird skins can be de-haired with no aparent different results at all. (you don't get more feathers or something)
Also, this can be applied, -in the same skin- several times at different stages of treatment, after cleaning, after curing...
I found this particularly because of the mess to remember in which state each skin was at the moment,
and at one point I realized I did de-hair the same bird skin a couple of times, so far that skin was in treatment like close to a week in all.
Maybe adding a red sign 'This is not necessary' and stop the process could be added, whenever we try
to de-hair a bird skin, or a 'you've already done this step' whenever we try to de-hair
an already de-haired skin. However I'm not sure it can be done twice on fur skins, I'm sure about the bird parts only.

Tested it out, and it seems de-hairing is indeed possible again after curing. Mistakenly, that is.
If you proceed from clean -> de-hair -> de-hair again the game correctly tells that de-hairing already de-haired skin isn't necessary.

So the curing step resets some flags that allows the game to recognize the importance, or non-importance of de-hairing. Hmm. We'll see about the possible adjustments. 

At least we could straight out remove de-hairing possibility for bird skins, as it's not useful in any way.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Nictalope

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 01:21:00 PM »
At least we could straight out remove de-hairing possibility for bird skins, as it's not useful in any way.
[/quote]

That sounds OK  ;D

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 02:43:11 PM »
Now it's made so that non-fur skins can't be de-haired, and notification about this is mentioned upon trying so.
This clear issue of de-hairing birds, and also the possibility of de-hairing already de-haired skins after curing them again.

So, all fixed.

Fixed - persists in 3.72.2
- Sami | UnReal World creator