Topic: Balanced that spirit, fixed them sacrifices  (Read 8757 times)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« on: June 07, 2018, 01:59:14 PM »
Two important things to help us get along better with the spirits in the upcoming patch:

- balanced: forest spirit's attitude in regards to hunted animals - size and significance matters

When an animal is felled the forest spirit's mood change and need for compensation by sacrifices
        now depends on the size and significance of the animal. Previously almost all the killed animals
        were valued equally by the spirits which resulted in small game hunters often receiving unreasonable
        disgrace. Now it is far more tolerable to hunt smaller game and get along with only casual sacrifices
        every now and then.

- fixed: only one sacrifice allowed per day

If any kind of sacrifice to any spirit was performed even the different kind of sacrifices during the
        same day were considered excess. This was not intentional, and is now fixed back to normal:
        You can perform multiple sacrifices on daily basis as long as they are targeted at different
        spirits, ie. forest or water spirit, or if the act of sacrificing is a part of unique spell.

These are future additions not yet functional in current version 3.50 (stable).
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:25:06 AM »
 I'm curious, depending on "size and significance" of the animal, would the appropriate sacrifice ever exceed one cut?

I don't see that larger sacrifices would be out of line, but not sure how it might work given one per day.

~edit~
Duh.. don't kill anything tomorrow and sacrifice maybe.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:27:06 AM by Privateer »
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »
I'm curious, depending on "size and significance" of the animal, would the appropriate sacrifice ever exceed one cut?

I don't see that larger sacrifices would be out of line, but not sure how it might work given one per day.

~edit~
Duh.. don't kill anything tomorrow and sacrifice maybe.
Yes, I'd expect the basic mechanism to be the same, i.e. each sacrifice pays off a bit of the dept.

Oh, on the balancing front, it would make sense to me if the sacrifice itself had varying value, so a lump of spoiled hazel grouse fat would pay off less of the debt than a cut of bear meat, and a roach would have a lesser effect than a salmon.

JEB Davis

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
And even a step further... a lump of spoiled meat should anger the spirits.
A sacrifice should be something the character actually needs to be valid at all.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 03:03:44 PM »
And even a step further... a lump of spoiled meat should anger the spirits.
A sacrifice should be something the character actually needs to be valid at all.
But I need spoiled meat to feed the dog ;)

I agree that spoiled meat should either have very little value, be worthless, or have a negative value.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »

According to folklore it seems that for the finnish spirits it is the gesture that matters the most - not the actual value of the offerings. Exception to this rule are sacrificial specific spells where a specific thing is needed for a specific result. Concept of greater sacrifice for a greater service/result is a bit alien for us. So we continue to emphasize on the gesture rather than the required amount.

And when it comes to sacrifices with spoiled food items, that's going to be fixed.
- Sami | UnReal World creator