Topic: [not a bug] Crafting staves and javelins  (Read 7172 times)

Bärentill

« on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
Due to a questionable quality cap it's almost impossible to craft anything better than decent staves or javelins. I always get the message "You could have done better but you can't make good out of bad". The problem seems to be that the slender tree trunks have an inherent quality modifier which is "decent".

The crafting of staves and javelins should be more the way like the crafting of boards and fox traps which are made out of tree trunks and which can be made "perfect". Since it works to make better boards out of tree trunks, there should be the possibility to make better staves out of slender tree trunks, too. It's also inadequate since sometimes there are better staves in the villages for trading although it is obviously not possible to craft these.

I've already found this issue in version 3.32. I'm sorry that I didn't report it earlier.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:28:05 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:29:36 PM »
This is well known (check any discussions about item quality). It can also be noted that you can't craft clothing of higher quality than decent (it's capped), but you can find higher quality clothing in villages.
The logic for clothing and bowls at the least, is that once the item it's fully functional with no flaws, it just doesn't get better without embellishments the character cannot engage in. In the case of bowls it could be intricate carving, while in the case of clothes it's because well tailored clothing takes a lot of time to make, and the current UrW model for tasks generally doesn't allow for interruptions (there are some exceptions, with more to come in the future), so you just can't spend 40 hours one making a masterful bear skin cloak with all the bazillion smal,l quality, stitches and whatnot required.

Bärentill

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
This sounds reasonable for clothing, but I don't think this applicable for staves and javelins which are weapons. The quality modifier for weapons has basically an impact on the functionality. This is why the best modifier for weapons is "masterwork" and not "beautiful". A masterwork javelin is just perfect considering its javelin fighting abilities and is not comparable with a spear which has completely different stats. It might be rather hard to forge a masterwork spear, but to create a masterwork javelin there is less work needed although it needs much experience and the right materials to create one of those.

In my opion, this would be a good choice to adjust this. The carpentry skills needs much time and effort to be improved and if it cannot be used to craft anything better than "decent" things it suffers from being useless later on. The skill mastery in carpentry is too weak compared to others then.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
This by design, not a bug. Reasons for the desing are numerous, which I don't unfortunately have time to open at this hour. Further mechanisms of how woodwork in case of staves and javelin could/should/might work can be opened and flourish at the suggestions section at will.

However, creating higher quality javelins and staves can be modded in if somebody craves for that. Using boards as raw material for those would be probably the most easy modding solution to get going.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything