Topic: URW sufficiency mod  (Read 1426 times)

affert

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 03:59:31 PM »
One potential bug:

I was trying to make a birchbark canoe.  I was standing right next to a 'Rapids' square and it didn't count as water.  Is this intentional?  Is there a way to make it nearby square is water or rapids?

koteko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
The bug was supposedly already corrected, so if you have the latest version the fix was wrong :P

Just go inside diy_sufficiency and change the recipe in this way:

Code: [Select]
.Birch-bark canoe. "Punt" *CARPENTRY* [effort:3] [phys:arms,stance] /8h/ %-10% |2|
{Birch-bark} #20# [remove] [ground]
{Tying equipment} (16) [remove] [ground]
{Board} [remove] [ground]
{[NEARBY_TILE:Water]} 'Must be near water'
{Fire} [ground]
{Axe} <Carving axe>
{Knife} <Small knife}
[MATERIAL:birch-bark]

caethan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 01:05:52 AM »
@Kerlysis:  Did some playtesting with the ironworking and tuned it a bit easier, in particular changing the charcoal quality modifier as you suggested and making it easier to level carpentry.  Try it with the updates and see what you think.

caethan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:10 AM »
Finally got around to adding spinning and weaving.  I borrowed heavily from Rain's mod, with some changes.  It works like this:

• Harvest hemp, nettle, or flax plants.  Don't thresh them.
  • Stand in water and soak the plants in the water to rot away the woody parts of the stalk.  This will take a while.
  • Gather the retted plants and dry them for several days.
  • Extract the fibre from the plants - this is called scutching and heckling.  Beat the dry stalks with a club and run a stiff comb through to remove the remaining woody stems, leaving the fibres behind.  The fibre at this stage is no longer plant-specific, so everything should stack.
  • Spin the raw fibres into yarn wound onto spools.
  • Weave the yarn into homespun cloth.

Cloth and yarn can be used for a number of things.  First, it makes great cords.  Twine the spun yarn into light-weight cords, great for traveling.  It can also be braided into heavier ropes for use with animals.  You can also tailor your own bags, as well as a selection of homespun clothing.  The basic clothing is light and cool, good for summer wear.  For winter, you can also quilt cloth together with feathers to make clothing as warm as fur but much lighter.

I've done some playtesting but haven't extensively gone through everything yet, so bug reports are appreciated.  Enjoy!