Topic: New look of rain a bit hard on the eyes  (Read 9482 times)

Lin

« on: April 10, 2018, 12:31:49 AM »
I find rain looks great in 3.50 but makes it really hard for me to see enough details to be able to play comfortably. To the point of eye strain actually.

At first I was pleased to be forced to stay indoors crafting, from a roleplay perspective. But then I realised that autumn kept progressing and there were weeks were it was raining more than it wasn't. I found myself waiting for the rain to break to do anything, just because it wasn't comfortable moving and looking around, let alone trying to hunt. The thing is, I'm definitely not advocating against the feel of realism it adds to the game. Same as it makes perfect sense not being able to see at night, an occasional heavy rain shower that completely blocks visibility would also make sense. But sometimes rain is just a little bit of water. It seems to me that the kind of rain that impedes visibility as much isn't all that common most of the time.

Of course it could just be me, I don't see anyone else complaining. In which case, I'll be doing some heavier roleplaying. :) But if not, maybe there is a way to soften the visual a bit?

Mati256

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:22:04 AM »
It makes sense and it would tie in nicely with the improved climate effects we got some versions ago courtesy of Erka.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
The rain is a pain on the eyes at times:
- Hunting: the rain effect makes it hard to see any tracks, including those right next to the character.
- Harvesting: Seeing the difference between ripe and not gets very hard when it's raining, to the point that I sometimes have to use the look function to figure out the stage of the plant. Note that I'm already zoomed in to the max when harvesting.

Buua

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
Game is so taxing for my eyes that rain combined with max zoom out on my laptop screen is literally painful. I had to draw red circles around arrows and some hard to spot animals, so I could actually see them on the screen without squinting . I'm considering altering tracks with red arrows too. Some might call it cheating but imo roguelike game shouldn't visually hide stuff from you.

Edico

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »
Agree here, maybe dampen rain visual effect a bit. Would be cool if fresh rain/snow erased tracks and affected abilities though (maybe slight penalties?) or maybe that's already in game and I didn't notice

caius

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
I agree that the rain/snow visual is rough.  I often give-up on whatever I'm doing in heavy rain/snow because I can't see, especially when traveling on the map screen. 

For example, I was working through a bird-thief quest and had to give-up for several days because I couldn't identify terrain from the map screen or on the zoomed-in screen.  Then when there was a break in the rain, I got in some time searching but had to give up repeatedly and couldn't use a systematic search strategy.  It took so much longer than it should have to finish that quest.  I was worried about finishing the quest in time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 03:39:17 AM by caius »

PALU

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
It's been mentioned by Sami that rain is a .png (gui-rain.png and ele-rain.png according to a search in the truetile folder) and that those images can be edited. Maybe somebody with a hint of artistic talent beyond the stick figure drawing level could edit the images and post alternative ones with a lesser impact?

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:48 PM »
I do believe that Sami mentioned that the new rain is easier on computer processing.  But, perhaps there could be an option for the "low performance" rain, and an option for "high performance" rain.

paz

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »
It's been mentioned by Sami that rain is a .png (gui-rain.png and ele-rain.png according to a search in the truetile folder) and that those images can be edited. Maybe somebody with a hint of artistic talent beyond the stick figure drawing level could edit the images and post alternative ones with a lesser impact?

Editing those 2 pngs for rain and snow was the best thing since getting a dog. Thanks for that information!

Shadowdweller

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
I kind of LIKE the eye strain effect?  I think heavy rain and snow should impair visibility somewhat and the graphics actually do that.

Helldiver

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 01:31:30 PM »
I kind of LIKE the eye strain effect?  I think heavy rain and snow should impair visibility somewhat and the graphics actually do that.

I know what you mean, and I'm usually an immersion-freak, especially for this game. But even I find the rain graphics a bit of a pain at times, and have been wondering if I couldn't edit it (btw, thanks for the tip about finding and editing, PALU!). Everything better in moderation, I say. If the game makes it possible for me to spear a moose with a few strokes of my keyboard, I don't feel too fussed about putting comfort ahead of immersion for some aspects of the game.

And besides, some people have legitimate health issues that might mean they have physical difficulty playing a game where the UI isn't as accommodating. Optical strain is a worse problem for some people than for others.

werepacman

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
I think the right way to implement effect of the rain is to make it affect character, not irritate player. :)
But must admit current rain effect is very realistic. :)

tedomedo

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 01:12:11 AM »
During rain and snow i can't see that shape for examining something when i press F3. Especially when i'm in wilderness. Change it to something else. Green color is not good because almost everything on map is green.

My image (click the link) shows an example. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot0m05jd2l2pd16/F3.png?dl=0

anything