Topic: [3.80] Smoker. Hot smoking. Now version 1.2!  (Read 7044 times)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« on: June 17, 2023, 05:26:38 AM »
Pretty simple: adds smoker, hanging hooks (needed for smoker), trough for brining, and meat, fish cut and cured meat hot smoking recipes. Unzip to the UrW executable folder.
You should find Make-Smoker and Cookery-Hot smoke.

You can start the fire on the same tile as the smoker, it won't burn down*. The recipe takes some time as the fire needs to be kept going slow and steady. But once the recipe is finished, there's no delay on getting the meat/fish picked up and back on the move.

There's a bug in *COOKERY* with [patch] and no consumption without [patchwise] of the required firewood. Feel free to Discard or burn elsewhere.

Brining and smoking cured meat added. v1.1
1lbs of fish fileted, salted and hot smoked for 2x 0.4lbs filets. v1.2 whole fish recipes are bugged with [patch:]

Expect v1.3, hot smoking whole fishes, after *COOKERY* / [patch:] / [ask_num] / [patchwise] bug is squished.

*Avoid placing the smoker next to other fire sources/-places. Or risk burning things.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 10:37:55 PM by JP_Finn »

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 05:33:50 AM »
One cold night in early Soil month:

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 08:02:13 PM »
Updated the mod, now v1.2

Changed fish hot smoking to weight based as whole fish recipes w/multiple fishes are bugged.
Added brining, trough a larger container to hold the brining in, also the pre-requisite hollowed log, and finally hot smoking cured (from the brining) meat.

Vivi001

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:00:24 PM »
I don't know if its just me, but firewood isn't consumed when using smoke hot and etc...

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 10:06:43 PM »
Yes it's mentioned on the 3rd paragraph of the top post.
And FWIW: bug report

Vivi001

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 10:12:11 PM »
Yes it's mentioned on the 3rd paragraph of the top post.
And FWIW: bug report

Gah Okay, Im blind lmao.
I wish mixing meat didnt give mixed cuts... win some, lose some!

Brygun

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 08:45:44 AM »
Hey JP Finn.

Thanks for allowing me to add this to the BAC. Credits are mentioned in a few places including the master contributor list.

Now that I've used it some feedback:

Overall:
= Love it

Positive observations:
= A new character who hasn't established a homestead or even chosen where to start building walls can't smoke in the vanilla game
= This rig is simple enough that can be field built. I call it "field smoking".
= when setting up a trap fence with pits did pre-built the field smoker. Partly just something to do until catching that first big game.
= The most complicated ingredient to the build would be the cord which just reinforces a hunter should carry cords.
= I was able to pickup and move and even sail it on a raft debating where to setup the camp. That was handy.

Challenge points:
= the overall weight is 90 lbs which apparently includes at least some accounting for the stones for the fire ring
= Wouldnt mind a lower weight of 60 lbs by assuming the fire ring would be built each time or risked without
= five (5) stones were needed which weigh 14 lbs each.
= finding five stones is tricky. The cord is easy to carry and should be carried anyway. The branches and wood are doable quickly almost everywhere. Its the stones that are terrarin specific.

Suggestion:
= Minus 2 stones leaves 3 for 1 per tripod leg. Minus 28 lbs so roughly the drop from 90 to 62 or 60 lbs.
or
= Minus 1 stone leaves 4 as 1 per tripod leg and one center stone reduce weight from 90 to 76 or 70 lbs.

Brygun

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 02:08:01 AM »
Feedback on using for larger animal

Like how this turned out.

It was a non-ideal situation and an elk giving 220lbs of meat I still managed to smoke half of it. Its seems this field smoker is perfect for small and medium animals. Large ones the game mechanics still guide to proper vanilla smoking.

How the test went:

= Field smoker was already made
= Elk caught in pit
= Harvested elk
= wanted to work on it at another camp
= moved meat to other camp
= important this camp didnt have a cellar
= setup smoker
= realized there was no firewood at this camp
= between fetching a fallen tree, blocking it prepping some if of firewood
= and rushing to build a cellar
= the time taken to actively field smoke 30 meat took 20 firewood
= managed 3-4 batches of smoked meats 90-120 smoked
= remaining 110 meat spoiled

Having the smoker but not having firewood or cellar at the start almost the worse case scenario. The only thing to have a crappier start would be no field smoker built.

I actually like that it still encourages using the vanilla smoking system for full harvest of large animals. An "escaped slave" could set this up to use on a lucky medium catch to preserve enough to make some distance.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 02:37:12 AM »
Not really part of this mod, but touches your pain point somewhat: add a recipe to make firewood from slender trunks, it’s one I’ve used a long time.

Until Sami gets multiple output recipes, I think we’re stuck with heavy tripod. I’ve never had a fire ring with less than 5 real life large rocks. Usually more, and several small rocks I omitted for simplicity’s sake.
Just won’t have room for firewood/cover from wind. You do NOT want the fuel blazing.

Brygun

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 03:01:44 AM »
Not really part of this mod, but touches your pain point somewhat: add a recipe to make firewood from slender trunks, it’s one I’ve used a long time.

Ah! forgot about that. BAC has that added already and 1 slender outputs the 20 firewoods needed for the smoker.