Topic: Portraits won't show.  (Read 8500 times)

DemAvalon

« on: July 29, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
The player's portrait does not show up in game only on character creation and the ancestor screen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:25:31 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
The error report is probably too short on details to allow for any investigation:
- What OS and UrW version are you using? Any mods?
- Has it worked before? If so, have you done anything recently that might have caused things to change? (OS/UrW upgrades, driver upgrades, installed/removed mods...)
- Have you experimented with replacing portraits with your own?
- What's being displayed instead of the character portrait?
- Does it happen when you generate new characters as well?
- Anything else you can think of?

DemAvalon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:40:38 PM »
-Windows 10, 3.40 (stable).
-It used to show the portraits on an older version (3.30?) its been a while, I thought it might have been mods but then I did a clean install and the problem persisted.
- as I said above, I did, but the problem persisted on a clean install.
- this is 
Spoiler: show
also same thing on dialog with NPCs, their portrait shows up fine (even modded)

- yes, it does, as I said on my previous post the portrait selection shows up fine (as well as the ancestor screen) but as soon as the game starts the portrait no longer shows.
- the first time I installed this version the player portrait showed (I remember it was fine on conversations) but I had a weird bug where the screen started flickering (portions of the screen would go black and alternate), I did not take a screenshot, but after saving and quitting the game and reloading it stoped, the portrait thing seems to have happened after that, but I'm not certain.

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »
is the file 200x200 png?
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

DemAvalon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »
Yes, as I said even the default portraits on a new install won't show in conversations or the character profile.

Edit: I did not even know something was supposed to show here (This portrait I'm pretty sure never worked) Until I installed the game on my brother's laptop
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:23:36 AM by DemAvalon »

DemAvalon

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:44:07 AM »
Huh..., so after installing on my brothers laptop, grasping at straws, I tried installing it on program files instead of my usual folder, and that worked, all is fine now (even with mods), so I think it maybe did not recognize the characters from the folder's name or something (the folder where I install is called Não apagar temporario, maybe the ~ had something to do with it.)

PALU

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the tilde modified character isn't recognized properly in one of the path interpretations UrW uses (but apparently it works in some of the others). Sami should probably take a look at that.

I generally place my games in my Games folder and I avoid installing to program files, as that path is on the OS disk, which is full of junk the OS installed/keeps cluttering up.

Anyway, good to hear it works, and it's also good to get feedback about what appears to be the problem (for any others encountering the same problem).