Topic: Animal Skin Management  (Read 4392 times)

princebunnyboy

« on: February 14, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
I was looking for a price list for 3.50 B but I found the wiki page on item values and I dunno how accurate it is still, however reading it says that shortbow making is the best way to get value out of pelts.

Is this true? If not is there a better value thing to make with furs? I had a fine elk and fine stag skin. My go to trade is Fox traps but I don't even know how valuable those are? :-\

Thanks guys~

PALU

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
I don't have any answers, but it's worth noting that value per unit of resources may not result in the same ranking as value per time unit. Fox pawboards use trees, which are essentially free (assuming you've got a useful axe), while pelts are harder to come by. Also, foreign traders only take pelts as payment.

I generally don't make crafts for sale, but sell primarily meat and pelts, where I convert the meat into dried or smokes meat as soon as I can and then sell that (currently I'm trying to be mostly self sufficient (Buiodda's mod), so the meat goes into hiring villagers for robber quests, while the pelts go to traders to build up a mound of valuables).

princebunnyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:55:19 AM »
(Snip)
, while the pelts go to traders to build up a mound of valuables).

I thought foreign traders prefer the more luxurious furs like fox, bear and lynx. Wouldn't it take a lot of regular fires to buy something? It's it better to sell my stag or forest reindeer pelt to them or villagers??

Thanks

PALU

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »
As long as it's a fur of acceptable quality the foreign traders will take them, and using a dog and/or cow of burden to haul them can allow you to trade off a huge pile.

The priority of whom to trade with varies over the course of the game. Early on you need to get hold of essentials and probably only want to get tools from traders. Later on villages don't have much of interest to offer anyway (while traveling you may find masterworks quality items you want to buy, but your regular set of nearby villages should be emptied of useful things reasonably quickly).