Topic: Catching a glutton - advice?  (Read 12808 times)

koteko

« on: February 12, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »
So, I have a very persistent glutton on my camp. It raided my fenced-in cellar, killed my fenced-in pig (luckily it didn't touch my cow) and has been attempting raids for days while I'm my shelter working.

Interestingly, it completely ignored all the traps I have put around. I have light lever traps, fox traps and small deadfall outside the outer fence. I have several pit traps among the outer fence. Inside, I have one light lever, one small deadfall and one big deadfall trap. "Protected" by these traps there's an inner fence with the animals, and inside this another inner fence with the cellar.

Everything is baited with spoiled raw meat. I have a middling trapping skill, a bit above 50% I think, but have already catched a fox, a wolf, an ermine and a reindeer. All in one season, autumn, which is at an end.

Ah, I also have plenty of bones and spoiled (cooked) meat lying close to these inner traps. But so far the beast has ignored all of them - it tries to go straight to the innermost part, the cellar and the animals.

Any advice on how to tackle this thorny issue, apart from buying a dog? (I'm not self sufficient enough to support it, yet)

My character can only use axes and is huge and slow, so no chance of active-hunting the bugger.

Bedlam

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:31:47 PM »
Very exciting.

Try re-setting the traps (by kicking them) and putting only fresh raw meat cuts (or fresh small fish) on them. Spoiled bait is not useful, it seems to make them avoid traps.

The right trap for the glutton is the small and the big deadfall trap. One lower from the bear one.  It's supposed to be the smaller one, but I'm very sure I've caught gluttons with the bigger version too, same one that catches wolves.

It's probably small enough to squeeze through the trap fences and is ignoring your delicious traps because the meat in them is spoiled!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:34:13 PM by Bedlam »
URW cooking overhaul - the Njerpez Cookery Mod v1.01!
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1106.0

koteko

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »
The right trap for the glutton is the small and the big deadfall trap. One lower from the bear one.

Yep, got one big and something like four small deadfall.

Interesting about spoiled meat. I wonder if this has changed recently? I thought spoiled meat was fine for carnivores.

I'll try it as soon as I get a kill :)

Bedlam

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
It's fine for dogs but carnivores have started turning their noses from it. They require only the freshest and juiciest of dining experiences, if carnivore lives are going to be risked in those traps.

Try fresh fish, should be nearly as good as meat.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Spoiled roasted meat and fish is completely wasted: not even dogs eat those.  Spoiled raw meat and fish is eaten by carnivores who happen to get caught anyway, and might have a very weak attraction factor, but fresh (including stale, but that will change quickly) is the way to go.
The two mid sized deadfall traps is the way to go, as mentioned, although I think I've occasionally gotten lynx and badgesr in fox pawboards as well, but the glutton is probably too large. I think bear and pit traps are too big for gluttons (they work for wolves), while bird traps are too small (snare and the smallest deadfall).

I would also try multi baiting with turnips, roots, and berries, as I think gluttons won't shy away from vegetable food, although that probably works better with badgers.

As mentioned, gluttons are small enough to just run straight through trap fences.

koteko

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »
Thanks for your input PALU.

So, later tonight I'm going to first try adding fresh fish. If the glutton doesn't get caught, I'll add berries (have a bunch of spoiled ones) and finally turnip.

After all that, if still not caught, I'll replace all meat bait with fresh one. This glutton must die!

PS: I doubt it eats berries/turnips as none of the traps baited with those has been triggered (and there are plenty, all around). But it's worth a try.

koteko

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
Got him yesterday:

It did not care about fish. I had fresh fish in all traps and also on the ground, but it just ignored it until it spoiled. Then just out of the blue, it got into the big deadfall trap and ate the old spoiled meat inside (leaving the spoiled roach be).

Got a nice glutton skin to warm my feet on the bed, now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:31:40 PM by koteko »

Bedlam

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:18:44 AM »
The character's looking well satisfied. :D

StudleyKansas

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »
I had the same damn issue, but it was with a badger instead.  Fence around my cellar, traps everywhere baited with fresh meat and fish, all blessed with the trap blessing ritual, and that little bastard just kept cruising into my cellar like it was a vending machine.  Finally one night I woke up to some scuffling in my cabin, and saw him hanging out near the cookware.  I jumped out of bed and slammed the door before he could escape, and proceed to engage him in hand to hand combat.  I had a bow and spear but screw that, this was personal.  My unarmed skill was quite low, so it took a good long time to finally beat him into submission before crunching his neck under my fine leather boots, but it was worth it.

PALU

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »
Protecting a cellar is easy: just place a snare trap on top of it. For a badger I'd try a fox pawboard instead, though, if you want to catch it rather than just block it.

irontide

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
I've never had problems with animals raiding my cellar. Part of this is that I like settling on small islands, but I also don't place any traps near to my home. I think traps spawn animals (it certainly used to, and I think even after Sami changed animal spawning they still do), and for me the bother of dealing with animals raiding my cellar and my home is larger than the benefit of catching a few more animals, especially since I normally have quite enough catches in my other traps.

The same goes for my fields. I don't put traps around it (I do fence around it), and for the most part animals leave it alone.

koteko

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
The same goes for my fields. I don't put traps around it (I do fence around it), and for the most part animals leave it alone.

You never got a bird infestation razing your fields, I guess :D

Salador

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
Be careful to remember it if you place a trap over your cellar! I placed a big deadfall trap over mine. This was with an arguably rich character, the cellar had enough food to last for at least half a year. Also, there were two watch dogs nearby, protecting both the cellar and the two cows. (side question: Would carnivores still dare approach the cellar/animals with dogs nearby?)

But I digress. Recently, I came back to this character after not playing for months. I completely forgot that I placed a trap there, and even though I received a warning before moving on top of the cellar, I knew that it can't hurt me. Ended up with a serious fracture and some bad bruises.. Took two weeks of the best treatment to heal everything. The trap is now dismantled.  ;D

Moral of the story: traps can be dangerous when you forget where you placed them...

koteko

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »
Did you put a bear trap on the cellar? That may be overkill :D

shorun

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »

You never got a bird infestation razing your fields, I guess :D

cry hacov and let slip the dogs of war!

anything