Topic: Game Crash  (Read 7193 times)

Grand Sage

« on: February 11, 2018, 05:03:16 PM »
My version of the game keeps crashing with a windows report saying "urw.exe has stopped working". The crashes are mostly tied to zooming in and out of the the world map, but it doesn't do so reliably, only something in the lines of 80-90% of the time. It also has crashed when making a new character, though that is less common for me.

I tried removing the .40 stable release and installing the .50 beta, but that does not seam to fix the problem.

My guess would be that it is the same kind of problem that I have run into playing Dwarf Fortress, where windows decides that the program is unresponsive when saving/loading a bunch of data, but I am no expert.

Im running the game on windows 10.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:26:50 PM by Sami »

PALU

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »
Are you running Windows 10 or 10.1?

Windows (10.1) doesn't kill DF for me even during world gen (where it may be "unresponsive" for minutes at a time), so that is probably something peculiar to your computer/OS/setup. UrW is never particularly unresponsive, so I suspect that's not the issue.

Have you placed UrW in some bad place, such as C:Program (x86) (or whatever it's called on your computer)? If I understand it correctly, it doesn't play nice with file access there (I guess it sort of thinks only code should be there, not data). Personally I have UrW (and DF) under D:\Games\Unreal World (and D:\Games\Dwarf Fortress).

Grand Sage

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »
pretty sure it's windows 10, at least thats what it says windows edition (windows 10 home).

filepath is D:\Jonathan\games\UnRealWorld so that shouldn't be the problem either.

DF never died in world gen either, only when i tried to save in adv mode, but thats probably still unrelated ;)

Grand Sage

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:27:18 PM »
Update: so, I tried an option that said "run with graphics processor", where I selected the option "integrated Graphics (default)", and I havn't had the game crash on me since. I even tried out all my old saves, where it did crash before. I have no idea why that would fix it, but it seams fixed now.

The other option was a high performance NVIDIA processor, so I assume that the game was running on that?

PALU

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
If you're on Windows 10 you should probably upgrade to 10.1 to get bug fixes etc.

Grand Sage

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »
Yes, agreed. also, i stand corrected, bug is sadly not fixed, it still crashes

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »
This sounds more like a system issue than a bug in the game, especially if it seized with some graphic option changes.
Like suggested, updating to Win 10.1 is adviced, or at least trying to update video card drivers.

Also, the report doesn't tell if you're playing Steam version, but Windows 10 and Steam crashings are a regular issue, which luckily has many fixes.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Grand Sage

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
No, not the steam version. I'll see what I can do in regards to your suggestions, and see if that helps. The really anoying part is just when everything is fine for half an hour or so ant then the game just crashes again... Oh well, thx for taking a look :)

anything