Topic: How do I catch perches?  (Read 8888 times)

PALU

« on: February 02, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
Buiodda's Crafting mod calls for dried perch skin for a number of recipes, but I fail to catch the elusive buggers.
I thought you'd catch them (together with roaches, which I don't really care about) in small lakes, but my attempts at setting nets in a single tile lake has resulted in, I think, everything except perches, roaches, and salmon (and the last one shouldn't be available there).
Neither the in game info nor the wiki sheds any light on the issue.

Acolyte

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
I routinely catch Perches in small lakes - not the single tile ones, the multi tile. I use a fishing pole from shore.... not sure if that helps.

Good luck!
   - Shane

PALU

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »
Thanks Acolyte.

It's a useful data point, even if it's not the complete answer.

Acolyte

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:52 PM »
They may be shallow water fish?

- Shane

JEB Davis

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:01:36 AM »
I recall catching perch in nets cast in lakes, and also with a fishing pole.
Not the most common catch, but still caught sometimes.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 07:33:27 AM »
Thanks for the answer.

Korvi

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
I started my game as a Kaumolaiset fisherman with something like 50-60% skill and a fishing rod and I have consistently caught a huge number of perch in the very large lake I live on in the southeast.

It's amazing how much variability the game has :D

PALU

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:12:40 PM »
Thanks!

It definitely looks like I need to do rod fishing rather than net fishing.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »
i believe perch and roach are primarily shallow-water fish, where nets cannot be cast.  it's even possible that they are too small to be caught with nets, not sure what sort of nets are being modeled in the game.  i know that in real life, perch are very popular fish for anglers.  they like to dwell in weeds.  my characters in the game often tend to subsist largely on perch, with roach and pike mixed in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_perch

fun fact - the perch is national fish of Finland!

PALU

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:35:32 AM »
Thanks,

yes, I think you're right in that they may be geared towards shallow water, although they certainly appear in open water as well.

JEB Davis

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 03:07:46 AM »
Fishing 40%
Single tile lake, standing on shore at noon.
Catch was a pike, a bream, and a perch.

PALU

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
Thanks.

Edit:
I've finally gotten myself some perches by using a fishing rod from land by rapids (both because that's where my homestead is, and because it's winter). Thus, it seems to be rod fishing, possibly from land.
It's fortunate my character doesn't need to rely on rod fishing for food, though, as it's probably one day's worth of fish for every 3 days of fishing (with a fairly low skill of 31).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:57:04 PM by PALU »

Bedlam

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
You can get perches with nets, but need to put the nets into shallower water. The deeper waters and rapids will yield only trout and salmon - bigger fish. But if you sail around and find the edge where the rapids turn into "regular water", casting nets there will get you burbots, lavarets, and tons of small fish. In my experience it's wiser to fish there since the small fish don't seem to damage nets as much and you get a massive amount of them with good fishing skill.
URW cooking overhaul - the Njerpez Cookery Mod v1.01!
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1106.0

PALU

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:18 PM »
The latest versions of UrW has seen an increase in the number of nets for sale, so net damage is not that much of an issue.
I don't actually want a lot of fish, only perches for perch skin mod glue, as they're hard to process in a useful manner (although I've recently realized roasting them and then stuffing buns with them is a good Njerp usage: the fish soup doesn't look very apetizing). While fishing during winter the buggers still don't stack properly so using drying isn't that effective/uses a lot of cord.
However, I'll try your suggestion once it thaws, as I think I'll need a fair number of perches (used for a bow and for blunt arrows, and blunt arrows are consumed fairly rapidly and are hard to find to buy).