Topic: (3.40) Tutorial Suggestions  (Read 4304 times)

palmic

« on: December 31, 2017, 10:45:24 PM »
As i am new to UW, i would like to give you some hints.
I have a lot experience with survival games including Wurm and Dward Fortress (ok they are not really survival, but they need huge amount of patience) so i can tell i have mostly no problem to overcome design flaws in games, but here i found some:

Setting a trap
I believe i fell into very probably most common pattern of players here where we are going to setup trap at the same tile as we have shelter.
There is not obvious how your "task events" system works, so i just setup trap on the same tile, then i found out its based on zooms, so i removed the trap and put it at map tile besides.
But when i tried to trigger the check event few days later nothing happend.
So i removed the trap again, and set it up at the first position, then moved for a few days ouside and when i returned back, tutorial moved to next step.
Looks like your "check trap" event is locked on the tile, where "setup trap" was triggered..
This is obviously very confusing for new players.

Watercourse
When i created a raft, i waas really confused to find it in my inventory, i was looking for dissapearing rafts at google, then after few minutes i found it in inventory accidentaly.

I finished tutorial and everything else seems to me ok.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:52:05 PM by palmic »

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »
As i am new to UW, i would like to give you some hints.
I have a lot experience with survival games including Wurm and Dward Fortress (ok they are not really survival, but they need huge amount of patience) so i can tell i have mostly no problem to overcome design flaws in games, but here i found some...
I will append new things as i am going through the tutorial:

Setting a trap
I believe i fell into very probably most common pattern of players here where we are going to setup trap at the same tile as we have shelter.
There is not obvious how your "task events" system works, so i just setup trap on the same tile, then i found out its based on zooms, so i removed the trap and put it at map tile besides.
But when i tried to trigger the check event few days later nothing happend.
So i removed the trap again, and set it up at the first position, then moved for a few days ouside and when i returned back, tutorial moved to next step.
Looks like your "check trap" event is locked on the tile, where "setup trap" was triggered..
This is obviously very confusing for new players.

This task as it does not state a true # of days can be confusing.
A trap set at home will not progress the task without as you say, going on a week long camping/hunting/fishing trip.
It's about days that you haven't visited the tile "trap". Placing a trap anywhere then leaving the tile for 3~7 days should check task on next return.

If you have multiple traps that have not been checked in days/week these would complete the task immediately.

Hope that helps
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

palmic

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »
Ok, thanks!

anything