UnReal World > General Discussion

Take it or leave it - Forest Reindeer Meat

<< < (2/2)

caius:
Resource gathering objectives also influence prioritization when processing a kill (or multiple kills).  For example, if you're trying to collect hides for trading, then ensure you do the hide before it deteriorates or rots.  Are you in a hard place for food?  Then make sure you smoke/dry the meat first.  Already have a ton of smoked/dried cuts stored in a cellar, then maybe not be in such a rush to process the meat. 

I tend to use multiple cellars to organize the kill processing steps.  I have a first cellar where I place raw or uncooked meat.  It extends the lifespan of the meat by a little and can help give a buffer to meat spoilage.  This first cellar is always adjacent to a wall so I can dry meat cuts in the winter directly in the cellar.  (I make sure I have a stash of cords in this cellar for drying during winter).  I have a second cellar where I store my smoked/dried/salted meat cuts.  This second cellar exists to extends the life of my smoked/dried/salted meat cuts.  I have a third for storing plant stuff (leaves, flowers, grain, roots, and seeds, etc).  I don't know if this vegetable cellar actually affects gameplay, but I like the idea of a "root cellar", so I use it.  These three main food cellars are always near my main cabin/homestead. 

I also have a fourth cellar adjacent to a water tile where I drop my unprocessed hides (and the fat or bark I will use to tan them).  I also think (and I have no objective proof of this), but cellars seem to extend the life of hides so I can tan or preserve them without them rotting.  This tanning cellar might not be adjacent to my homestead, but I will always go to this location to process hides. 

Andre:
I usually hunt at the same time as I explore, and when I get a kill I skin it and butcher it, tan the skin somewhere central where I can explore in a circle around while waiting for it to finish if I don't have anything else to do, and otherwise cook the meat to trade to villages I find except for a small amount to eat for myself. And I'd probably end up trying to butcher all the carcasses but most likely it would end up being pointless where I won't be able to cook the meat fast enough for the uncooked meat to not start going stale where it is pointless to keep cooking it because it's not worth anything and I won't be able to eat that much anyways. And ofcourse carrying that much meat is impossible. So realistically I might end up butchering two of the carcasses, tanning the hides, keeping maybe two or 3 dozen cuts for me and my two dogs and trading the rest for arrows or hides.

caethan:
Don't forget you can cure hides to delay the tanning process until later.  Well worth it when you have a temporary abundance.

Andre:
Curing isn't really worth it unless you plan on turning it into leather. It really doesn't take all that long to tan the hide, even bigger ones only really take a day and a half to finish or so. It just takes a few hours on some of the steps.

Dungeon Smash:
Honestly, I wouldn't bother to kill 3 or 4 reindeers in the first place... 2 is plenty, a lot is probably going to end up spoiled.  Otherwise, I agree with Caius and PALU.  Having a strong animal helps, as you can transport all the carcasses to a convenient location (cellar near water & smoker) and complete each step in batches.  Wintertime would be best as the meat will not spoil as quickly.  Otherwise, I would just prioritize what I need (hides vs meat) and try to get as much done as possible (using -pipe tea to stay awake as much as possible, if available) with the understanding that at least some of it is probably going to spoil.  In this situation, you could probably get the hides and maybe 1 or 1.5 animals worth of meat.  More with wintertime, animals for hauling, a stockpile of -pipes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version