UnReal World > Modding

Bow Balance question

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dr.Hossa:
Oh, glad a veteran showed up ;D

Did you guys experience the Northern bow being the best?

What would a professional archer say about how the different bows perform relative to each other, i mean IRL...

Btw, should i test that elven bow too?

Privateer:
 Well I'll defer to Sami or other bow enthusiasts;

As to jmo of bow calculation 'rationalization' accuracy is both a measure of 'targeting' and range.
Making short, juniper, northern and others fine at shorter ranges. At greater distances longbows and crossbows (though suffering slower operation) become more widely used.

JEB Davis:
Try a search of this and also the old forum. Many have gone down the path you have started treading and tested/analyzed bows until the cows came home. I remember them doing it, but didn't pay attention to any results because it's not my play style.

(edit: spelling)

Dr.Hossa:
Ok, uhm... perhaps first of all sorry for digging up and penetrating you with that seemingly old topic...
I can well understand it is "not your playstyle" to know everything about the mechanics, it's not mine either.
And sure some correlations should not be too visible for players in order to have a nice gaming experience. Some day, i will find out if the spirits like pike or roach better, before or after the catch, every or every second day...

On the other hand, some are realy, realy foggy. And repeatedly testing is not delivering any technical expertise. So there must be a balance between knowing all, and knowing nothing about game mechanics.
Second, my problems do not concern gameplay. Gameplay is actually very fine – if not perfect, considering balance, realism, and ambient feeling.
But when i mod new things in, i want to know what i am changing, just because the base game is balanced that well.
It is almost for sure that the new item or thing or whutever i add, is not fitting in the balanced system when i just dont have basic information like, for example:

– Does the name of the bow lead the enginge to treat it differently? (i guess so, will test. Trusting the realistic calculations of the devs, i think/hope that will actually have the biggest impact)
 – Is weight of the bow changing something? (i guess so, will test)
 – Is the bow damage combined with the arrow damage?(i guess so, but thats almost impossible to test) 
 – Is the Rate of fire differing?

I have already soaked up all information i could find and i am well aware of the forum search possibility, but actually for these answers there are not really any information found.
Or perhaps i have to dig deeper?... Additionally i cannot browse the old forum, dunno if its broken but i cannot visit that website.
What i can find, are people complaining about not hitting a moving bird at 50 yards despite being the best archer in the (Unreal)World, and i think many of us are tired of that one.

I think there is a lack of centralized information on some things, many infos are scattered over different sites. The Wiki is a extremely useful and important tool, yet giving much outdated or wrong information. The Enzyklopedia is more reliable imho, because its written my the devs themselves, but does only give you cryptic or abstract info.

Just an example: 

Longbow:

Wiki says, its good when you have low bow skill, because of the high accuracy.
Enzyklopedia says, it takes years of training to shoot one.

If that is not a paradoxon, i dont know what is. So one of them must be wrong, and i dont think its the Enzy...
Perhaps i can put that stuff a little bit together here, because people like me will repeatedly ask those questions. And if somebody wants to join, much appreciated. If not, feel free to ignore ::) Really no sarkasm intended ;). I mean, what's the point in having a wiki or a forum with people who talk about the game... It's all about knowledge

Privateer:
 The Wiki on the official site, if I recall correctly, was intended to be maintained mostly by players.
So I'll not damn anyone for the work that's there. I also encourage anyone willing to take their time to make it better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version