UnReal World > Suggestions

Craftable punts ? And what should the limitations be ?

<< < (3/4) > >>

JEB Davis:

--- Quote from: Privateer on December 01, 2018, 10:13:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tom H on December 01, 2018, 10:01:55 PM ---On reflection, it's puzzling that a raft made up of 3 500lb tree trunks winds up so comparatively light! heh

--- End quote ---
Some have reset the weight of their raft(s) to 1500 lbs.

--- End quote ---
Here's what I did:

.Raft.  [effort:3] [phys:stance,arms]   *COMMON* /20/
{Log}   (3)    [remove]   
{Rope}      (3)   [remove]
{Cutting weapon} <Axe>          
[WEIGHT:1200]
// JEB: VANILLA was {Tree trunk} added [WEIGHT]
// JEB: was /80/ (reduced because logs had to be carved beforehand)

Brygun:
This is a possible recipe for the vanilla punt.

Warning: untested as of 2018-12-01

The build time is a full high as this is both a major item and condensed into a single menu item (to save precious menu space).

//Brygun's presentation of a leather punt
//https://www.unrealworld.fi/wiki/index.php?title=Punt
// I see the half the stakes used to make the U shaped ribs. The others are used to make the rim.
//The leather is sewn into a big sheet, tied around the rim and under the U ribs. Leather is trimmed. In a circular punt the seat is near where the U ribs come together. In a box punt the seat is often higher to help keep the ribs spread. I like to use Bark as sticky sealant though other mods might use their local pitch_glue or whatever they have to seal the seams against leaks.

.Leather Punt. "Punt" *CARPENTRY* /6h/  |2| [phys:arms, stance] [EFFORT:2]
{Leather} #30# [ground] [remove] '+shell'
{Tying equipment} (3) [ground] [remove]  '+attach leather'
{Wooden stake}(16) [ground] [remove] '+supporting rim'
{Board} (1) [ground] [remove] '+seat'
{Bark} #3# [ground] [remove] '+sticky sealant'
{Axe}<Carving axe>
{Knife}<Small knife>

Brygun:
Some vid links

Black and white 1930s fishing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7NXVXUeJ5Y

A coracle built using willow woven together (different then the build I suggested)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcAzWOBAfo8

Erkka:
There's actually a video of making an UnReal World -style punt. The footage is from 1936, so they're making a somewhat more modern version than the simple punt used in UrW. I'd assume UrW punt comes without those extra added boards to the sides, which they start attaching at 4:09 in the video.

Petike:
Thank you, all ! So many great comments since my last visit. :) Even by Erkka ! ;D Feels like an outright privilege.

Genuinely fascinating discussion and some really interesting ideas with the code. I might test it in the game, just out of curiosity.

--- Quote from: Brygun on December 02, 2018, 01:36:05 AM ---There is no evidence of Iron Age Finland using birch bark canoes but as I am Canadian have a lot of imagery regarding canoes. There is a birch-bark canoe in my mod. Each major step takes a precious menu line which are limited in number.
--- End quote ---

Haven't heard of that boat type used in Fennoscandia either. Native American style canoes probably never really occured in European prehistory.

Birch-bark canoes are certainly cool bits of material culture, of course. I don't bemoan any modders who try to bring them into the game. It's still setting-friendly and adds more options to the watercraft roster, along with more traditional solutions (leather boats, dugouts, rafts, etc.).

--- Quote from: Brygun on December 02, 2018, 01:36:05 AM ---IIRC the self sufficency mod had a recipe for a dugout canoe. Due to their ease of making just about wherever mankind was someone at some point made a dug out canoe.

There is evidence of the era and geography having leather skin boats and dug out canoes.

--- End quote ---

I'm not that surprised about this, it seems logical these would be the resources they'd have readily available for building small, general purpose boats.

Having read about archaeology conducted in Europe alone, the dugout is a design that's been a perennial mainstay in virtually any culture - even inland ones - that need regular use of boats, if only to cross rivers or lakes. Though dugouts are hefty, they are fairly practical when it comes to the resources available.

--- Quote from: Brygun on December 02, 2018, 01:36:05 AM ---Bouidda and thus Nyxz have a "punt" that appears to be built up of boards. That to me seems to be a clinker built boat.

There is evidence of clinker built boats being used by the Anglos and Scandanavians in the 600s. I was watching a documentary on that today actually.

I don't think the punt we see is a clinker boat it is however the only vanilla graphic we have.
--- End quote ---

From what I know, clinker-style construction was more of a medieval era approach, or at its earliest, maybe a method developed in late European antiquity. It would be a bit modern for what the player could build, and I've always thought of it as a method more suitable for large boats or ships, rather than small, one- or two-man vessels.

--- Quote from: Brygun on December 02, 2018, 01:36:05 AM ---There was an old mod which had a recipe for making a leather punt. I think it was Rain or Endive but Im not sure. I have been meaning to look that up.

I've been thinking rewriting or finding the old leather punt recipe too.

--- End quote ---

Nice !  8) And thanks again for the code you've already posted. I really appreciate it you looking into this to such an extent.   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version