Topic: Dog Fur ...  (Read 3547 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: June 08, 2023, 01:45:12 AM »
 :( is there any way I can get this without murdering a dog??

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 02:18:23 AM »
Njerpez hunters and scouting parties have dogs with them every so often.
That’s my go to dog fur source.

That or my dog(s) dying when clearing war camps.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 05:07:55 AM »
Njerpez hunters and scouting parties have dogs with them every so often.
That’s my go to dog fur source.

That or my dog(s) dying when clearing war camps.

Yeah I guess enemy dogs are combatants, and not dealing with my dogs bodies is a waste (though I don't think I could ever do it in real life like that).

PALU

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »
I hope you won't have to deal with njerps in real life either...

It can be noted that human relations with animals have shifted over time and location, so in some places dogs are just sort of tools, and farmers used to slaughter their own animals as a way of life (and that remains the case in some places). However, the killing of horses and dogs have sometimes been offloaded to outsiders because the owners have made too strong emotional ties to those animals. For some reason dogs haven't been on the menu in large parts of the world, but it can be noted that sled dogs that died often have been fed to the remaining dogs, at least on polar expeditions.

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 05:30:27 AM »
Yeah I found the get dog fur part creepy

Most socieites see dogs as tools or companions. There are some asian ones that see them as filthy. Jungle peoples who likely didnt have the right terrain to develop useful dog breeds so they fell into the "wierd other place strangeness"

Fun fact: With the end of Greenland Iceland studies they believe they did eat their dogs. Which meant all the things the dogs would have  hunted or herded were already inaccessible or used. A sign of bad times when the dog that is used to get you meat from other animals has to go as all of the others are already gone.