Topic: Animal in forest cover  (Read 3669 times)

JP_Finn

« on: June 06, 2023, 08:36:01 PM »
Has anyone managed to find the missing animal since the tracks degradation was implemented?

I can only find "old sheep tracks leading to SW" on wilderness map and after using Tracking on every third zoomed-in tile, in that tile and the tiles to the west, south-west and south. No local sheep tracks found (found badger, bear tracks).
This characters Tracking is only 47%

I'll go report "not found" in the assigning village, just 2 days left (had to work that bear fur).

PALU

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:29:27 AM »
I'm not sure I know what track degradation you refer to, as I haven't seen a change in years. Since a year or two I've consistently turned down these quests as they're far too time consuming and boring (for me, the player), with a significant risk of failing because you missed the tracks when you visited that (and neighboring) tiles.

Using tracking from the overmap has never been useful for me, regardless of skill. True, there are random reports of tracks detected (that may or may not be found when visiting the tile), but most of the time no tracks are reported even on tiles where I know there should be tracks (such as when I've seen an animal on that tile and go there to look for it).

Furthermore, I wouldn't recommend trying that quest with such a low tracking skill. There just so great a risk that you won't be able to detect the last track with that skill even if you managed to actually find the tile in which the tracks are located and sort of track those tracks.

The times I've succeeded with the quest I've visited every blasted tile in the area (stopping when finding the tracks, of course) by zooming into it and looking around, but if you want to be sure you'll have to walk through every tile in about three different places to ensure you are actually going to get sufficiently close to see the tracks. Also, this can only be done in daylight, as dawn and dusk won't allow you to see enough.

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:39:44 AM »
I only accepted the quest as there is a bug report about smith giving odd response when the village owes squirrel hide quest payment.
And that village has a smith.
 :D

PALU

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 06:09:54 PM »
Sorry for that. It was my bug report...

JP_Finn

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 06:19:23 PM »
No trouble at all, the character got the cabin built and went looking for something to tan and smoke while waiting for harvest season.
Only so many days one wants to fish in a row.
 ;D

Plotinus

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 09:33:28 PM »
I have found it in version 3.80 but it is tedious.

JP_Finn

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 10:15:08 PM »
I have found it in version 3.80 but it is tedious.

Good!
It was me, not the track degradation. Haven't taken the quest in loooong time. Tedious being the operative word!

anything